Author Topic: Duff compost  (Read 6533 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Duff compost
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 12:37:28 »
Lots of Councils are now giving away the compost they make from the gardening clippings that others take to the civic amenity site.
In Swansea you can get as much as you want at Ferryboat Close on the Enterrise Zone, opposite the lake and you don't have to show that you are a local to benefit. Most councils don't want to fill up their landfill with stuff that can be divered away else where.

Some councils are working towards having it apporved but its ok as a soil improver or for flowers bed. Woudl recommend sieving it as you can never be sure what someone has added to the green waste  bins
Again a bit coarse, but its free so can't complain.
My bizzie lizzies are looking goog on it!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 13:57:01 »
Jo I am always worried about buying the comp[ost from the council green bins, if everyone else puts as many weeds, seeds and roots in there, my garden would be a mass of bindweed and dandelions! ;D  (well, more so than it is now!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 14:01:46 »
we can buy sacks of humous from our 'local amenity site' (funny  name, i never find much amenity there...) - it's the recycled stuff from our green collections. i havent used it for the seeds - probably wouldn't - but it's great to improve my clay :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 23:17:02 »
on our allotments we tend to use Focus's own compost which can be bought in bales. i am only knew to plotting but the guy next to me has been doing it 40 years and he uses that compost. the way to tell if a compost is bad is whether there are lots of bark or twigs in it. if there are then it is rubbish. hope this is of some help
takes over your life doesn't it

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 23:50:59 »
I've just bought yet another 145 litre bag of B&Q multipurpose (£6.48), which has always worked fine for me - but it's my fourth this year. Where does it all go???  It's the same every year. Surely by now I should be able to see into the flat upstairs.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
Duff compost
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 23:17:31 »
Erin Multipurpose. Suppose it had to be. And I've opened it from the bottom too, I see in the dusk.

Good results % wise.

Ciaran

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 23:24:59 »
Blimey, I know it's quiet on here but you are really trawling through the old posts aren't you  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 13:12:50 »
Jo I am always worried about buying the comp[ost from the council green bins, if everyone else puts as many weeds, seeds and roots in there, my garden would be a mass of bindweed and dandelions! ;D  (well, more so than it is now!)

DP,

Most councils compost on a huge scale that produce temps that get rid of weeds and lots of chemicals

You should be able to check them out to find out how, where when and how they do it and what testing they do for pathegens, heavy metals and so on.

In Hampshire the local contractor is Onyx and their product (Progrow) is SA approved - but they can't sell enough of it, it is now being sold (very cheaply) to B&Q to incorporate in its Peat free brand - it's about the normal price of soil conditioner if you buy it by the bag at the recycling centres, but if you go to where it is made you can carry it away for almost nothing.

Phil

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 13:27:11 »
Where is it made Phil? In West Sussex they sell it to a contractor earthworks who charge a fair amount for it.
It might be worth me making a trip to Hampshire if it is cheap?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 13:44:25 »
The site I know of is at Otterbourne at the bottom of the M3 (junction 12). There maybe other sites - try ringing 01962 764000

If you want it delivered in bulk then they effectively only charge the delivery costs.

Phil

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 15:24:22 »
West Sussex, here in East Sussex I think they sell it at our local tip, I can find out how much etc. for you if you are interested! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2005, 15:40:23 »
At my tip it is free, I've been using it and not had any problems.  Just go down with lots of bags and help yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal