Author Topic: You miss a week....  (Read 1814 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
You miss a week....
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:38:59 »
....and Tarzan moves in!  Finally got to the plot today, after a week of not being able to get up there, and honestly, I was looking for zebras in the undergrowth!

So, didn't get half as much done as I hoped, but did pick some peas, mange tout, courgettes, dug some spuds, ravaged a few berries, pulled a couple of lettuce and a couple of beetroots.

First job, weeded around my leeks, which are really putting on a lot of growth, some are bamboo thickness already!  Then around my sprouts 'red bull', which I then staked.  I didn't until late last year, and the slugs enjoyed the ones that touched the ground!!  Removed netting from my strawbs for 2 reasons, firstly there are only a couple of strawbs left there, and secondly, the 'spare' brussel sprouts and cabbage plants were bunged in with the strawbs, and they are growing so fast that they were getting squished against the netting!  Pulled out my broadbeans.  Am not going to bother again, blasted mice!  Dug some rocket spuds, and the ground was damp and crumbly, so raked it carefully, and planted 12 Bosnian bush beans.  Now someone, please tell me if Bosnian bush beans grow tall??  I must post that question in edibles!  Tied in my squash plants.  I cannot believe how long some of them are!  Trombolino (thanks for the seed....um...I can't remember who sent it to me now  :-\) must be 6 foot long!  There are going to be loads and loads of squash - must use up the 'over wintered' ones!  And that was it, ran out of time!

Next visit - Thursday, will skip the gym, the plot needs me more!  First job, dig up the last of the shallots and onions, the shallots are all brown, and very small  :-\ and the onions have all bolted :'(.  Pick peas, plant kale, plant chinese greens, plant black eyed peas.............there are not enough hours in the day! 

Hope you are all having a good sunny Monday!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: You miss a week....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 17:21:20 »
I had a similair thing EJ, been away to Scotland all week (on the new BMW bike! ;D) and the allotment is a jungle of bindweed again   >:(

Oh well, some broad beans were ready, and some spuds, and I shall just have to go down after work a couple of nights!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:20:38 »
I've got weeds everywhere, but mostly annuals. Once the marking is out of the way, I'll sort that out (despite appearances, it's nothing like as bad as the first year I did it; it gets better each time) and then get on with mulching and digging the bit I didn't get done over the winter. I had a head injury just before Christmas, and it took so long to get over it properly that I never really caught up.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:21:41 »
EJ

I had a steroid shot in May for the arthritis in my neck.  I had a rebound flare-up which lasted 5-6 weeks.  At its worst during the time my sunflowers needed planting out.  Grrrrr! Grump! Groan!  Could barely keep up with watering the d**n things at the time.  My right arm had gone weak and carrying the watering can became a bit of an ordeal.   ::) :P

Its a bugger.  Its so easy to get behind with gardening.  One of my sunflowers is already flowering, and its only about a metre high.  >:(  I think they got a bit stressed when I went awol.  I am hoping the rest don't go the same way.  Last year's were towering whoppers, I would like more of the same this year.  Que sera!

Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 13:28:19 »
EJ, I've missed more than just a week and my two plots are a jungle. The veg is growing well, but not as well as the weeds. It's a deperate struggle now to weed them out before the seeds set in, I'm getting there but slowly. Next year will be better I tell myself  :D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 13:43:37 »
Glad to hear the Trombolinos are doing well, EJ  ;).  I let them sprawl around the sweetcorn last year - they do like space.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal