Author Topic: Margarine  (Read 5802 times)

Glyn

• Hectare
Margarine
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:21:36 »
This is interesting, and true.
  Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.
 When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research
wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this
 product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so
 they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How
do you like it?
 They have come out with some clever new flavourings.
   DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?
   Read on to the end...gets very interesting!
   Both have the same amount of calories.
  Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.
   Eating margarine can increase heart disease inwomen by 53% over eating the same
amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
  Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
   Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!
   Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the  flavours of other foods.
   Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..
   Very high in trans fatty acids.
   Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
  Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
  and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
  Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.
   Lowers quality of breast milk.
  Decreases immune response.
   Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
   Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..
  This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
  and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
  changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note acouple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it  (that should tell you something)
   * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it
  Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to  grow. Why?
 Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Margarine
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 12:27:24 »
Yuck to marg! 

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 13:33:07 »
  And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
   Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

A nonsense.

Whoever wrote this (and I am assuming it wasn't you Glyn  ;D), knows nothing about materials chemistry.

Water (H2O) is only a few atoms short of H2SO4. Omigod!!! Don't drink water, it's nearly sulphuric acid!!!

This sort of thing is simply scare-mongering, and probably originates from the Butter Marketing Board, or somesuch!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 14:05:20 »
sod whether it's true or not. Butter tastes lovely. Margarine is foul!
gone to pot :D

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 14:13:20 »
Whoever wrote this (and I am assuming it wasn't you Glyn "No I didn't ), knows nothing about materials chemistry.
Maybe they're referring to people who eat strange things, like Margarine containers?
;D ;D ;D ;D

Bodolph

• Not So New ...
  • "Another day - another plant"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 14:15:06 »
Margarine was created by a Frenchman from Provence, France -- Hippolyte Mège-Mouriez -- in response to an offer by the Emperor Louis Napoleon III for the production of a satisfactory substitute for butter. To formulate his entry, Mège-Mouriez used margaric acid, a fatty acid component isolated in 1813 by Michael Chevreul and named because of the lustrous pearly drops that reminded him of the Greek word for pearl -- margarites. From this word, Mège-Mouriez coined the name margarine for his invention that claimed the Emperor’s prize.

So possibly not intended for the turkeys at all!
"...Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so..."

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 14:22:42 »
a cracking excuse to eat butter - much better taste than marg any day  :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 15:48:01 »
Ugh I don't like Margarine, never have (but not for the above reasons, I was never any the wiser, it just has a disgusting greasy useless taste)

Anyway, cheers Glyn, I looked it up on Snopes and by and large it is true.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

However, as Snopes points out:

Although a great deal of the information given in the e-mail is valid, one bit of intelligence is nothing more than hyperbole tossed in by the author in an effort to make his point more strongly. The claim that some comestible is but a "single molecule away" from being a decidedly inedible (or even toxic) substance has been applied to a variety of processed foods, but that type of statement (even if it were true) is essentially meaningless.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 15:49:26 »

Water (H2O) is only a few atoms short of H2SO4. Omigod!!! Don't drink water, it's nearly sulphuric acid!!!

In some areas of the UK it probably is! hehehehehe

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 15:55:29 »
 ;D Definitely more chlorine than water in the water in some places!

I never said that marg tasted good, just that it's not "nearly a plastic".

I quite like soya margarine, but then I know I'm a bit odd.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 16:39:53 »
Ignorance is bliss indeed - I've lately been buying "healthy" and/or sunflower based spreads (for lowering cholesterol etc) but always assumed that the hydrogenated bit simply related to hydro (water) and meant it was bulked up with water!!  :-[ 
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 17:32:23 »

I think a better example is hydrogen peroxide(H2O2). In pure form it will dissolve right through your skin and cause cotton to ignite. Nasty stuff, but it's one Oxygen atom from water. Some jokers decided to pass around information about "dihydrogen monoxide" on the internet as a dangerous chemical. Well, a California city fell for the hoax and considered banning the "chemical" after learning it was used in the production of styrofoam cups; then they learned that DHMO was just water, lol.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 20:30:41 »
Ignorance is bliss indeed - I've lately been buying "healthy" and/or sunflower based spreads (for lowering cholesterol etc) but always assumed that the hydrogenated bit simply related to hydro (water) and meant it was bulked up with water!!  :-[ 

Hydrogenation is the process by which oils are solidified into a spread; it uses hydrogen. Other versions of this that I've seen have evn more silly "facts" - such as "undyed margarine is black"!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 21:16:27 »
I am never going to eat anything again!! Or move from my sofa, far too dangerous! I would buy butter, but it's always so hard when it comes out of the fridge, and I'm scared something is going to infest it if I leave it out!  So, just won't eat.. again.... ever  Lottie  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 22:33:15 »
;D Well I eat Flora 'Light' spread on my Ryvita, topped with ham, thin sliced tomato and Piccalilli. Yummy.

Cholesterol 2.9 ;D

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 23:23:53 »
The poster is correct.
Marg is utter rubbish, things grow and live on water, they dont on hydrogen peroxide.
Nothing in nature has a use for "I cant beleive its not plastic" so why should we.
The "health" industry isnt interested in our health !! it wouldnt have an industry if we were all fit.
I cant beleive people here of all places would be sticking up for chemical gloop.

----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 10:05:48 »
I don't think we are sticking up for chemical gloop. Some of us are just sticking up for having the real facts, not made up ones!

;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 10:27:39 »
;D Well I eat Flora 'Light' spread on my Ryvita, topped with ham, thin sliced tomato and Piccalilli. Yummy.

Cholesterol 2.9 ;D

Well I eat anchor full fat butter on butter biscuits with peanut butter and clotted cream.

Cholesterol 175.3

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 11:04:47 »
I'll never trust Terry Wogan again.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 14:55:28 »
I only deal in FACTS Speedy.

Go put some outside..leave it years if you like

not for me thankyou

----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal