Author Topic: Sugar snap peas - 2nd sowing?  (Read 1487 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Sugar snap peas - 2nd sowing?
« on: June 28, 2005, 14:13:24 »
Wondered if it's too late to sow a 2nd crop? I've seeds left, but not saved in their original packet, so haven't a clue..I live in B'ham & they'd be grown on in a sunny spot. I'm harvesting now from my original sowing of 20 plants and they are seriously good eating 8) - would love to extend the growing period if I could...

Thanks, Lishka

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Sugar snap peas - 2nd sowing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 17:27:56 »
dunno, but harry on the plot is growing a second helping of peas - and gave me seed to do some late peas, too. just cleared my garlic bed and in they went. :)
late peas can be grown/harvested til october. we'll see how these ones will do. no idea on variety :D

good luck
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 18:23:31 »
Hi Lishka
I agree, sugar snaps are delish and they're our most prolific crop in this our first year of allotmenteering..............Mr P has some small seedlings in pots planted just a couple of weeks ago that will go out when they look strong enough and (hopefully) will extend our cropping season.  It's certainly worth a try I reckon.  We're in Preston so if we're in with a chance here in the frozen north ;) then you must surely be!
Have a go and let us know how you get on......part of the fun of this growing lark is the gamble of trying out different crops, varieties, sowing and planting times...and success is addictive ;D
Plottie :)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 18:44:53 »
Hi Lishka,
Another sugar snap fan here! I planted some more about 10 days ago, and they're showing now - so I agree with the others, go for it!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 18:49:05 »
Very many thanks for the replies - and the encouragement! I'll get some more sown in modules 1st thing tomorrow.

Cheers! Lishka

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal