Author Topic: Squashes/ Cucumbers/ Courgettes  (Read 7201 times)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Squashes/ Cucumbers/ Courgettes
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 10:37:08 »
yes tasty burpless are an outdoor variety. mine are romping away as i said earlier :)

the warm weather has meant all my heat lovers have quadrupled in size in the last five days :eek:
lets hope there is fruit to follow soon :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 11:57:40 »
I'm growing Cucumbers both in the greenhouse and on the lottie.  The variety is 'PROLIFIC' are these all female flowers.  The cucumbers are very tiny at the moment without a flower on the end, but there is another tiny stump along side the growing cucumber which could be a flower. 

If it grows male flowers will I need to dead head them before they mature.

Lily

' A problem shared is a problem halved'

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 21:35:53 »
Courgettes then...at what size should I plant them out? They are in the g'house at the mo, at the 4 true leave stage and about 6" high.
My plan is to put them in their final position tomorrow morning, would this be about right or should I wait till they're a bit bigger?
Oh, and at what spacing?

Thanks in advance.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 09:52:56 »
I'm no expert but... I planted my courgettes out yesterday, and they had about 4 true leaves.  I planted them 3ft apart as they are trailing varieties but this is the first time I've grown them, so don't just take my word for it!  ;D

I'm sure a more experienced grower will be along soon.

philj

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 15:02:34 »
Hi there,

I've grown courgettes for the last couple of years, and plant them out when they have about 3 or 4 leaves, after the frosts have gone.  As long as the slugs don't get them they will soon be growing well.  I've planted out some Butternut squash and Cobnut squash a couple of weeks ago, and they were a bit smaller, but seem OK at the moment.  Now the warm weather has arrived they will all start growing fast!

Phil

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 16:23:50 »
I'd have thought planting them out now would be fine.  My first year with an allotment so no expert - proven by the fact that I put my cucumbers and courgettes out just in time for the last frost!!  As a result I lost nearly all of them.  But....I planted both kinds of seeds outdoors and those plus the survivors are doing very well all with some fruit coming.  I also put some indoor raised plants out and about 4 weeks ago and they are also romping away despire being put in non-manured ground when I ran out of space!

Hope that gives you confidence.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 19:58:04 »
We had BTG cues outdoors last year. They were fantastic (picked in october - yes october) for greek salad for my dad's 80th birthday do.
Get with the beat Baggy

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2005, 21:20:44 »
my first cucumber is due on wednesday. how do i know? because we are off on holiday on thursday and i WILL eat that cucumber and not leave it to become too big and/or rot before we return. it's about 10cm long now and will easily grow another 4 or 5 by wednesday night :)

yay!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 18:38:13 »
Didn't get round to it yesterday, will try tomorrow.

And another squash has poked its head through the compost today.
They must like the heat of the greenhouse.

So, that's 5 Butternut squash, 10? BTG cukes, 10 pumpkins, 15 'all green bush' courgettes and 2 melons (sweetheart). I've never grown any of them before. Lucky I've got plenty of room.

I just hope the wife and kids like 'em!

Oh, and I've just picked the first loganberry. Delicious, but as I got the plant in a little late there are only about half a dozen fruits. But the bush has put on loads of growth and I reckon next year's going to be a bumper one for them.
Also got 'thornless giant'? blackberry. This has a lot more small fruits, but won't be ready for a while yet.

philj

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 19:01:28 »
15 Courgette plants.  I hope you have a large family, hungry friends, or a large freezer!  I grew 9 plants last year and couldn't eat them / give them away fast enough.  Only growing 4 this year.  Here's hoping for a bumper crop now summers arrived.

Phil

Gill

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 21:29:53 »
Does anyone know about picking courgette flowers to eat. At what stage should you pick them - with the courgettes or before. I have quite a few little courgettes on my plants but I don't think they've been fertilised by the females - if this is the correct terminology, I havent grown them before. Anyway, the flowers too seem to die after about a day.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal