Author Topic: Sweetcorn in a tub.  (Read 2118 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Sweetcorn in a tub.
« on: June 20, 2005, 17:14:51 »
Who was it thats growing their sweetcorn in a pot?..I just wondered how yours was doing. I haven't got any tassels on mine yet, it still looks quite young...hang on I'll try and post a pic. I just hope this works.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 17:32:22 by Val »
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

bunnycat

• Half Acre
Re: Sweetcorn in a tub.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 19:06:45 »
Ohhh, I'm going to watch this thread with great interest as I'm going to try sweetcorn in tubs, next year ;D

Keep us posted on how it works out, won't you? :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 19:11:13 »
I wish mine were a little bit bigger. They went in a week or so ago and they were about 2-3 cms in height.  On Saturday, they were still about 2-3sm in height.  They are planted in the ground and were seeded in paper pots.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 19:29:29 »
Mine are not that big either, but once they take off Redclanger, they gallop upwards, so I wouldn't worry too much!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 20:14:23 »
Mine were about 2-3 inches tall until they had been in for 2-3 weeks but I noticed this weekend they were starting to shoot up.  Maybe it is the weather?

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 22:21:01 »
I have mine in a square tub, one in each corner and the other in the middle - they grew a couple more inches in the recent heat.

I have canes next to them going up teepee style
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 22:38:41 »
Mine were about 2-3 inches tall until they had been in for 2-3 weeks but I noticed this weekend they were starting to shoot up.  Maybe it is the weather?

I put my first lot in about 3 weeks ago (Two's Sweeter), had read about them not liking their roots disturbing and so put them in as soon as the leader root hit the bottom of the clear pots they were in. At this point they were about 2" tall. Last week they were still 2" tall, those that hadn't died that is. This week they've started to move a little (I have 13 left from 21, I think).

I put the second lot in (Indian Summer) early last week, they were about 6" tall and had considerably more root in the pots. They started growing in a couple of days, and are much taller than the first lot now. I'm sure the weather had something to do with it, but I won't be in such a rush to get them in the ground next year.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 08:08:15 »
That's given me some food for thought for next year if the badgers take my sweetcorn again this year.

The problems I envisage are you would need one plant per pot and you would have to watch for windy weather when they get near full height.
I could take 'em and put 'em somewhere out of Mr badgers way though ..hhmmm

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 09:12:13 »
Val - yours are much bigger than ours! We planted ours out, not in pots and they just aren't growing at all - will check on them later though cos we keep hoping that they will suddenly shoot up. Looks like one day they might from what Doris has said so fingers crossed...

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:29 »
Oh thats a relief I thought mine were way behind. I think I might have to stake them. Its my first try in pots so next year I'll put the stake in when I plant up.I forgot how tall they can grow.Mine have put a spurt on the last few days, I think its the weather thats bought them on.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 11:14:16 »
I put mine in down the lottie a few weeks ago and they didn't do anything so I was worried about root disturbance but after this weekend's weather they look as if they have grown about a foot so I assume they have just been a bit slow to get going.

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 11:18:07 »
Talking about root distubance i think i butchered mine!

I had them in a propagator but run out of compost to fill the pot i was gonna transfer them to.

I forgot about them for a bit and when i finaly got to move them a couple had a root joining them - i couldnt find which one it belonged to so broke it in the middle and gave them half each!!!

Pretty sure I left roots behind for some others as well - never mind, its the first time i have tried them (they are organic golden bantam by the way).
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 11:30:17 »
Oh, I did the same and mine seem to have survived - although I'm not sure if it is more luck than judgement so you never know, they might just sit for a while and then happily start growing.  Good luck  :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 11:34:47 »
I still have 12 sitting waiting to go in....lack of space on the plot!! Hopefully they will catch up as they are baby sweetcorn!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal