Author Topic: Flowers from the garden (sorry Fingle....)  (Read 1757 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Flowers from the garden (sorry Fingle....)
« on: June 15, 2005, 13:22:17 »
As it has been raining all morning, and no, I am certainly not complaining, I took the opportunity to wander around the garden with the camera.  A lot going on!

This is a teeny little plant that spreads all over my garden 'Sisyrinchium californicum' brachypus group.  Bright yellow flowers all late spring and summer long!

Then comes the hosta.  Late poking through this year, but what wonderful flowers!

Then another sisyrinchium, this time striatum.  Short lived, but clumps can be divided and have known this in the family gardens since I was a nipper!

Medlar tree blossom going over, from pure white and blousey, to a lovely dusky shade of pink.  Lots this year!

Don't know what this is, but it has sprung up in the woodland garden and looks great!  Have I grown it purposely do you think?

Then a geranium I grew from seed last year.  Lovely flowers, speckled haphazardly with lilac.  No idea of name.

There may only be 10 little cherries on our 3 year old tree, but each one will be a taste of heaven!

This red/orange flower...I know the name, but it just won't come to me!  It is making itself at home in the woodland garden.

Nasturtiums coming into their own.

Digitalis Lutea, but not sure as my book says late summer flower.  Anyhow, yellow foxglove!

Penstemon I think.

Another yellow one, whose name just won't come to me!

Sexy rain covered nasturtium!

Marigolds from MagpieDi.

Linaria (toadflax)  The bees love these!

Hypericum (st Johns Wort)  Have 2 different varieties, this is the first to start flowering.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 13:40:22 by EJ - Emma Jane »

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Flowers from the garden (sorry Fingle....)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 14:02:23 »
Very nice pics. You had a lovely morning. The yellow plant you don't know is lysimachia punctata. It does spread quite a bit but is fairly easy to keep in check.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 14:13:44 »
Loved the cherry picture  :)

My next door neighbour had a big one full of fruit and its dropped a seedling into my garden which i have planted up.
Its only about eighteen inches high right now, so i shall have to be patient over the next few years before i can post pics as good as yours :)

fozzie123

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 16:49:52 »
Would the Yellow plant be a Potentilla??

Foz

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 17:56:15 »
Smashing photos, Emma. How does one follow that?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 18:29:07 »
Thanks beejay, spot on!  And my book says it is rampant, which will suit the woodland garden just fine!  In fact, I think I prefer it to the bugle which is smothering everything!

And yes Fozzie, potentilla it is!  I have another one which is much paler and I can never remember their names.

Thanks for all the kind comments.  The garden is looking great, if a little wild and overgrown at the moment, and this rain will only make things move along faster!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 12:48:42 »
Lovely! as usual!

So that's what that plant is - toadflax. My neighbours have it in their front gardens, so I might have to pinch some seeds when they are not looking. really like it!
gone to pot :D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 19:26:23 »
lovely pics EJ see even on a rainy day your garden flowers shine

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 09:41:09 »
Great photos EJ.  Your garden must look a picture :)  Thanks also for answering a question for me.  I have seen a very pretty flower in one or two gardens around my way and wondered what it was as I want one for my garden.  Turns out to be your beautiful SISYRINCHIUM STRIATUM :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal