Author Topic: Aaaaargh Vine Weevil  (Read 2380 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Aaaaargh Vine Weevil
« on: June 20, 2005, 13:15:18 »
Oh, its sooooo very rare that I lose my cool! 

Last night, discovered I have vine weevil.  This year is turning out like one of those biblical plagues!!!  First the 63 million aphids and blackfly, now ruddy vine weevil.  I wash ALL my pots thoroughly (apart from the outdoors terracotta ones) and use sterile compost.  How did they get there?!!!!  AAAAAARGH.... it really is enough to make you scream.

The soonest any company appears to be able to send me some nematodes is 7 days!!!  ::)  :'( :'(

Last year, by the looks of it I was very very lucky.  Next year, well, all I can say is I'll be better prepared.  If nematodes and whatnot is how I'm going to manage things, I'd better order them well in advance.  Grr!

Anyone know of an organic co. that can get your predator control to you QUICKLY? 
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

undercarriage plan

Re: Aaaaargh Vine Weevil
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 14:21:40 »
I may be having an attack of madness!! But doesn't Sea Pets stock the little darlings? Or you could phone around your local Graden Centres, our Wyevale here stocks them too.  Good luck! Lottie

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 14:31:01 »
Hi Lottie

I phoned my local garden centre - Phoebe's in Catford - no joy.  Wiggly Wigglers 5-7 working days.  Chase Organics the same.  I have ordered some from the link below on a promise that they will arrive this week:
http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/Biological_Pest_Control_Syngenta_Bioline_Control.html

I don't think there is much else suitable for veggies.  :( 

If this lot at Grovelands are quick, I'll probably buy all my predators from there next year.  Will let you know!

I'll Google Sea Pets, not heard of them before!

Thanks
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 20:04:28 »
It's not your fault - adult vine weevils are small black beetles, and they crawl around outside (they can't fly). They chew holes in the edges of leaves, so if you see that happening you might have some advance warning that weevils will be a problem in coming months.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 22:35:20 »
Never think of them as black, more muddy browny grey.  And aren't the bloody things pregnant as soon as they pupate from grubs into adult devil weevils?  I have been plagued by then for all of my gardening life, and have just lost several primulas in the garden to the darn grubs!  GGGRRRR!!!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 12:51:43 »
Yuck, horrid little grubs EJ!  Sorry to hear you have lost plants.  >:(

The nematodes from Grovelands arrived today (5 days).  I'm happy with that.  It was quicker than any of the other companies could promise.  They're in the fridge right now, I am trying to stump up the energy to mix up the treatment, LOL! 

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 13:40:44 »
Good luck, Charlotte  ;D
EJ - as far as I know, the female beetles don't need a male to become pregnant, so egg-laying can commence whenever they feel ready. They lay up to 1600 eggs - and it's small consolation that not all of them hatch! Moist soil in July/August suits them best, which is why they're less trouble in the garden - but you can hardly keep your pots dry in July/August  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal