Author Topic: What's happening to my Skimmia?  (Read 17969 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
What's happening to my Skimmia?
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:33:08 »
I noticed recently that one of my Skimmia shrubs, started to show yellowing of the leaves. Withing the last week all the leaves are dropping. Anyone know what has caused this? This one shrub is part of a Skimmia hedge, and all the others look quite healthy!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: What's happening to my Skimmia?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 23:31:10 »
No idea I'm afraid.  ???

I thought I'd just mention that you stand more chance of getting some replies if you put a picture up.  So I've learned from experience!

Incidentally, my female skimmia is looking a bit yellowy round the gills, perhaps its just something they do.  Some plants I think just look a bit peaky at certain time of the year.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 16:44:36 »
Hi Charlotte. It's worse than I thought! The shrub has had it. It's dying or nearly dead, so I shall have to dig it out before it affects the rest of the hedge. The only disease I could come up with was honey fungus, but not sure it is that!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 07:50:39 »
Look for white mycelia under the bark.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:20:09 »
Thank you Robert. I'll have to look it up on the Internet first to see what I am supposed to be looking for. It looks, at the moment, that I will have to dig the shrub up!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 12:09:39 »
I looked this up on the internet -

there is a (new) bacterial disease affecting skimmia, which causes yellowing of the leaves.  Starts at the root.  So, if you dig it up, I'd be interested to know what the roots look like.  The web page I found was:

http://www.apsnet.org/pd/searchnotes/2004/0528-02N.asp

Skimmia have a reputation for being a trouble free shrub.  What a nuisance.

Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 23:58:09 »
sounds like vine weevil to me!
It'll be better next year

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:12:14 »
I have checked under the bark as Robert suggested, looking for mycelia. I gather this is some type of fungal spore. No problems in that area!

Now, my problem is, do I dig it up, or cut it back hard and hope for new growth?  The hedge is some 20 years old and has never been troublesome before.

If I dig it up, I will let you know what I find in the roots, even vine weevil.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 21:57:43 »
Before you dig it up check carefully to see whether there is an ants` nest under it.  A big enough nest can put paid to even a decent sized shrub.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 16:03:38 »
Thanks for that Kepouros, will check when the rain stops!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 19:53:59 »
Mycelia are white threads; with honey fungus you get a network of them just under that bark; it's unmistakable.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:13:19 »
Hello Robert,

I have checked all round the offending skimmia and nowhere can I find any signs of disease, mycelia or otherwise. I will try and take a photo and post it on here.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 00:14:02 »
I had a large skimmia which was in our garden when we moved here over twenty years ago. It started going yellow and looking ill about three years ago. I rang up the RHS and they suggested that it could be under stress from the very dry summer the previous year and to water it very well and then to mulch it. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference so last year I cut it back hard, and it produced a very small shoot but no strong growth. This spring I dug it up and threw it away, but could see no reason for the decline. I was very sad to get rid of it as it was opposite my kitchen sink and I miss looking at it. Hope yours does better, but I think mine must have just come to the end of its life. I have replaced it with a purple leaved shrub, but can't remember the name

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 22:56:58 »
Sadly the shrub has to go!   :'( Branches are dead or dying in the middle, and it looks as though it is suffering from a form of canker!  :o

Such a shame as it will leave a large gap in the hedge.

Thank you for all your advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal