Author Topic: Ideas, please...  (Read 1355 times)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Ideas, please...
« on: June 20, 2005, 19:21:34 »
Following on from Lishka's post about coleus canina, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the most pernicious "plant" I have ever encountered, pratia pedunculata (Blue Star Creeper)?
I put this on my rockery a few years ago, but removed it after a couple of years because it was spreading far too much and choking everything. Unfortunately, it had got into the lawn - and it's still there - spreading. There's about eight square yards of the stuff.
I've used most of the available lawn weedkillers, and none seem to have the slightest effect. All that I can think of now is to apply a total weedkiller to the whole area and re-seed after clearing out the dead material. Does anyone have any better ideas before I do this? All suggestions gratefully received.
Oh, and if you were thinking of planting pratia pedunculata - DON'T!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Ideas, please...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:12:22 »
Rather than weedkiller, why not dig it out, if you are effectively removing that patch of "lawn"?

(organically) Phil

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Ideas, please...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 17:30:43 »
The problem with that, Phil, is that this is one of those plants that grow from any bit of root or section of stem that gets left behind. At the moment I know it's one monster plant - I'd hate to split it into several. Horrible thing also sends out underground "runners" which run and pop up a good distance away in the middle of beds. If I could get my hands on whoever sold me this thing....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal