Author Topic: Quick growing bamboo  (Read 3126 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Quick growing bamboo
« on: June 17, 2005, 19:24:20 »
Hopefully you can help, no look on the beeb and i cant get any response from EDen either. After visiting Eden a few weeks ago, they had a bamboo 'trial' where they had a bamboo growing and a stick next to it showing its growth over the last few weeks.  it was 6ft.

i was wondering if anyone has a name for this bamboo or a similar bamboo that can be grown in this country and bought as seeds or a cheap plant.

Dont worry. it wil be grown in a big pot in my lottie.  its not for the groing i want it.  i want to grow som,e bamboo cames etc for my lottie.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Quick growing bamboo
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:14:24 »
I can't actually give you an answer, saw the query on the Beeb. All I know is that they have one (I assume the same variety) growing at Kew showing the daily growth. They use it for scaffolding among other things in its natural habitats. I can only try & remember to have a look next time I'm there! Sorry not to be more help.

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 19:56:22 »
Could it possibly be Bambusa Balcooa?  In India they use for building and  furniture.

Mark

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:22:14 »
Try contacting these people, they should be able to help.

I have a feeling that Bambusa balcooa isn't hardy outside in the UK. Most bamboos grow exemely fast once established.

http://www.hardybamboo.com/contact.asp

james bole

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 17:00:08 »
Look on Ebay.co.uk and search for bamboo seeds. There is a huge selection of seeds, of all colours, shapes, sizes etc.  My only problem has been that I have been unsuccessful in germinating them, but then I am a crap allotment holder and gardener.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 17:11:29 »
Dont be so hard on yourself. They wont germinate in compost or soil but i find a half and half mix of vermiculite and sand works well
I LOVE OP AMPS!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 17:39:30 »
Look on Ebay.co.uk and search for bamboo seeds. There is a huge selection of seeds, of all colours, shapes, sizes etc.  My only problem has been that I have been unsuccessful in germinating them, but then I am a crap allotment holder and gardener.

yes, have seeen them on ebay, also seen the ones further up on this thread, however when asking the seller about them, i got no response and so didnt buy them. thanks anyway.  thanks mac for the advice.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 18:08:14 »
You could always email Kew, I have found them to be very helpful, far more so than Eden. 

Don't get me started on The Eden Project or your likely to get a tirade to rival the Gardens World one!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 20:30:12 »
Try Chusquea culeou or Phyllostachys aurea. These will grow fast outdoors in UK.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 21:01:30 »
You could try asking on this Bamboo site, the Admin man, AKA Tony lives in your City and has a garden full of beautiful bamboo plants. ;D

I have added a link to his forum and a link to his garden. ;)

http://www.ukbamboo.co.uk/

http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/tony_in_manchester

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 16:34:42 »
Dont be so hard on yourself. They wont germinate in compost or soil but i find a half and half mix of vermiculite and sand works well

Hopefully that'll work with my Phyllostachys Pubescens seeds.  Is there any special propogating technique that you use?

Cheers, Mark

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 00:20:31 »
I have planted Iron bamboo and giant bamboo.
Cant remember which is growing without going out to greenhouse but one is doing well.

Funny cos put 5 seeds in two pots and in propogator and one pot sprouted all the seeds and the other did none!!!???

Will see how big it gets in potting compost. should have tried V and sand I guess by reading above.......

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 00:23:46 »
I have planted Iron bamboo and giant bamboo.
Cant remember which is growing without going out to greenhouse but one is doing well.

Funny cos put 5 seeds in two pots and in propogator and one pot sprouted all the seeds and the other did none!!!???

Will see how big it gets in potting compost. should have tried V and sand I guess by reading above.......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal