Author Topic: Stipa tenuifolia  (Read 2034 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Stipa tenuifolia
« on: June 16, 2005, 18:46:12 »
Just got a couple of small plants of these (£1 each from local market stall).

Apparently this is different from the similar 'tenuissima', but the similarity is what interested me in the plant.

Can anyone give me any more info on it, height, spread etc does it self seed as some other stipas do?

Thanks

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Stipa tenuifolia
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 21:51:28 »
;D I really can't help you on spec and didn't realise there were different varieties, I just bought mine as mares tail or pony tail, mine self seed like the clappers they have been growing out of my tree fern trunks, you have to treat them like weeds (maybe they are?) as they seed everywhere, but I like them. ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:09:26 »
Information from http://www.cottage-garden-seeds.co.uk/pages/stipatenuifolia1.htm where they sell the seed - so that answers one question for the rest:

"Perennial grass that looks good in the border or in a gravel bed. Long, thin silvery plumes give a shimmering effect to this 2 ft arching, graceful grass. Plant in full sun"

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:09:21 »
I was looking on Crocus & they are both v simillar but tenuifolia is 60 x 60cm, tenuissima is 30 x 30cm. Any help?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 10:16:45 »
Thanks for replies. Very helpfull

beejay: I was under the impression that S. tennuissima was larger than S. tenuifolia  ??? not smaller.

I am a fraid i have never been that keen on the infoon the Crocus site. Its simply an online catalogue/shop AFAIK.

Roy:  Dont mind a bit of self seeding really, i only have 2 plants so some seedlings would increase the display somewhat  ;D.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 11:04:15 »
Thats possibly right. I just happened to be there & saw it had tenuifolia. But now prompted to do some more research being a very boring person obviously & heights vary: they mostly had similar heights. Bue here is some non-useful info: tenuifolia means slender leaved & tenuissime is thinnest. Exciting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal