Author Topic: Exciting but daunting times ahead???  (Read 7486 times)

New Boy

Exciting but daunting times ahead???
« on: June 17, 2005, 14:57:35 »
Hello everyone,
as my nick name suggests I am brand new to this site and the whole allotment malarky. So new in fact I havent even got a plot yet.
For at least 10 years I have been wanting to "grow my own" today I phoned my local borough council and found out there are many vacancies at a site only two minutes drive away. I am awaiting an e mail including a plan of the site so I can pick a plot. Full size plots are 90 x 30 feet and half 50 x 20 feet. It was such a nice surprise to find out the prices. £28 and £14.
But what do I do? Is a full size plot going to be too big for a COMPLETE BEGINNER?
Do I get a full size plot and only use half to start with and then as I become more established and proficient use the rest?
I've been down to see the site and it seems very large but only a few plots are in use. The rest just looks like a meadow with grass at knee height! Perhaps a full size plot will be too big just for me with occasional help from my wife.
I want to try growing the usual easy stuff to start with. I also want to stay as organic as possible.
Blimey where do I start once Ive picked a plot?
Blimey how do I pick a plot whats an ideal position?

Well sorry about the post full of questions but by joining this forum it seems like the first commitment towards owning and working an allotment.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Exciting but daunting times ahead???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 15:12:39 »
Depends how much time you want to put into it. A full-size plot is perfectly manageable with planning; black plastic half of it, work the other half this year, then extend your operations next year.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 15:19:33 »
Grow lots of easy stuff. On a big plot you get lots more weeds as well as lots more veg.
Don't pick your plot from an email plan though - go and take a look - they could be covered in broken glass, couch grass, marestail etc... choose one that will be less difficult to get into production if you can! ASK the allotmenteers on nearby plots about any problems on any of the plots e.g. onion white rot....
Good luck!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 15:28:53 »
I echo the advice to go down and take a good look.

We took the only plot available (and were glad to grab it), but we had loads of trips to the tip with all sorts of junk and broken glass before we could even consider starting to tackle anything else.

Points to look for?

- proximity to a water tap
- shading on the plot e.g. overhanging trees
- slope
- prevailing wind (and protection from) e.g. hedges nearby?
- amount of broken glass underfoot (may be hidden by depth of grass/weed cover at this time of year) & other rubbish needing to be removed.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 15:49:21 »
Welcome on board New Boy!

I don't even have a plot, manage with just my garden, but I'd have thought a plot near a plot in production would be best - that will make it a more social activity and you'll learn more!

Don't forget also to look out for a plot with existing fruit on it (raspberries, gooseberries, fruit trees, etc) might be nice to inheret some rather than having to buy them in.
gone to pot :D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 16:39:59 »
welcome aboard.

i also echo waht robert has said: it may seem daunting, but i would take the full size plot and cover half of it until you are ready. especially as your allotment site seems very empty :(
i find that after this (my first season) i could probably do with more space - but i have no option to expand the plot, sizewise.

offtopic
what worries me is that your allotment site is very unused. tell your friends about it - maybe  there are people about who would be interested also in having an allotment? because if they are not used, the council may decide to change their use and allow other development! spread the word and save the lotties for the next generation ;)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

NoddyChelsea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 16:47:31 »
Hi New Boy

First year for me too. We've got a slighter bigger than average corner plot which we've managed to cultivate approximately two-thirds of in a year. The OH is now six months pregnant (how did that happen?) with our second child ;D and for some reason isn't that keen on digging anymore. ::) Therefore the remainder is covered in an assortment of black platic and carpet.

Couldn't agree more with Aquilegia. We'd had the plot a month before we came across hitherto undiscovered strawberries, raspberries (fortunatley unbeknownst to me I strimmed the canes down to about the right height at about the right time), a redcurrant bush and two cold frames :o ;D.

Saved a fortune I reckon and the strawberries are delicious. First tasting of raspberries and redcurrants just around the corner.

I also created thousands of weeds when I accepted the kind offer of the use of a neighbour's rotovator. You live and learn.  :)

I've become somewhat obsessed about my allotment and this is a great place to get it off my chest. My work colleagues think I'm crazy, so thanks to everyone here. :D

Good luck,

Tony.

New Boy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 17:25:49 »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Svea, I agree it is a shame that the site seems to be very empty. However there is an allotment site at the end of my road. When I enquired about a plot there I was told it was full up and very rarely does an empty plot come up there.  It really is wonderful just to stop for a few seconds and view this site. All the plots seem to be simply briming over with crops.
Who knows when/if I start producing crops to share with friends they may see the benifit of having a plot

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 17:30:29 »
Go for the biggest plot available, you don't have to clear it in one go and you'll soon fill it up when it's cultivated

New Boy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 23:46:43 »
Some form of an update.
Tonight the wife and I went down to the site and had a good look at all the vacant plots.
Met a nice chap hard at it. He explained how there were people of all ages who owned plots there. Every one helps each other and seems to have a good time doing it.
Very undecided about what size of plot to have now. A half size seems so big!
Did find it very inspirational seeing all the plots producing mahoosive runner beans loads of the most beautiful strawberries etc etc etc. Hopefully when I take a plot on which I hope to be within two weeks I will use this inspiration to join the ranks of succesful lottie owners. ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 00:01:26 »
Hi there New Boy!  There seems to be quite a few of us newbies about

I have just taken on a lottie too.  The condition of it is SO bad (3' high with grass and the rest) I have been given the fisrt year free. ;D   So even if I completely louse up at least is hasn't cost me much except back ache!!

I have gone for a whole plot - I've even found some gooseberries in the weeds!!  And maybe a raspberry?!! :-\

Definately need black plastic for half if it while I get to grips with the other bit.  Do you have a convenient carpet shop that discards underlay into a skip?  They would love you to take it away I'm sure!

Keep us posted, we can compare notes - of tales of woe!!! :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 08:46:37 »
Hi new boy

we were like you but back in April, had the choice between a half or full plot. We went for the full plot and took our time clearing and digging although it wasn't too bad, had help from neighbours with a tiller and plants and loads of advice. We think we made the right decision as we are starting to run out of space.

Keep us posted on how your doing :) :)

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 09:24:06 »
i got my plot last August ,  the weeds where higher than my head ( iam 5ft 2 )

so far I have cleared nearly 5/6 of it only a wee corner to go :)

I have 2 beds of potatoes and onions and shallots , a few salad stuff and leeks ( my plot  nieghbour gave me the leeks ) I have also put in runner beans

mags
new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:48:42 »
Hi New Boy,

Like lots of others, I too am in my 1st season. I have taken on my poorly Father-in-Laws neglected  plot (he owns it so no rent  ;D). It is 150' x 30', which is, I think, much larger than an average plot on an allotment site.

My advice would be to go for the full plot, as when you start to put a few crops in it is amazing how quickly the ground disappears. Mine is fully planted now with an assortment of stuff and I am waiting to get my early potatoes out so that i can get some winter cabbage in!!

The hardest part is clearing it the 1st time, take it slow, cover up what you can't tackle. All I did was to keep reminding myself that I'll never have to dig the whole thing in one go again as long as I stay on top of it. I intend to dig it as I take the crops off, a bit at a time etc.

Most of all, enjoy it!!

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 22:56:23 »
hi
I'm new here too, I got call today saying that there was a plot free and went out this evening to check it out.  It's got a HUGE strawberry patch ;D, some weeds but managable, kind of....but  no brambles   :)  I am very excited.  I'm gonna phone first thing tomorrow and accept it, then i might be able to get my left over french bean plants from the garden in the plot at the weekend.  I keep saying 'i' but i am actually sharing the plot with a good friend so it should make it more managable and more fun. 

One thing I wanted to ask, someone wrote earlier that  using a rotavator made more weeds, we were thinking removing by hand the worst of he weeds, rotavating it, covering it in cardboard to stop the weeds growing through, then covering in manure and black sheeting.  That way we can let the worms do their best whilst we work on the rest.  Do you think this would be OK?

can't wait to get to know everyone.
P
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 00:16:45 »
As I understand it (I'm no expert) it's best not to rotivate the land if it has lots of weeds in it. It's especially bad if your problem weed is couch grass (or bindweed) as one tiny bit of the root will shoot into a plant. Therefore cutting couch grass up into small pieces is very bad indeed. We pulled all ours up by hand and it took a long while. Even when we thought we had rid our patch of every bit of couch grass it still sprouted in places. It's just one of those things that will take a bit of work.
The cardboard and manure thing might work. Although manure has seeds in it too (the ones the animal ate) and it has a tendancy to sprout the odd weed too. ah well... you'll never be completely weed free, not unless you spent a LOT of time weeding anyway.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 11:23:59 »
We have had our lottie for over a year and have only managed to hand dig about half of it but still, wouldn't put a rotivator anywhere near it (even though it's tempting) as we have bindweed.  Even though we were really thorough with hand weeding you always miss some.  Start at one end and turn your back on the rest - that way you are just pleased when you can see freshly dug earth in front of you  ;D

New Boy

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 23:08:04 »
Silly question time.......what is couch grass and bind weed, how can I tell if a potential plot has it?

I have got the plan of the site now. I think I now what ployt I want. I will go for a full plot and from now on in I am on the hunt for free carpet and black plastic.
As a slight aside what is the youngest age on everyones sites (kids not included)
I am 32 and my wife is 27. My money is on us being the yougest by a long way

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 23:21:45 »
We have been refered to as the kids! :D
I am 40 & Becky is ??? erm very late 20`s ;D(35 this weekend)

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 23:25:16 »
hi
My friend and I are both 33, and female, we have spoken to a few folk on our site that are in their 40's but they say we are the only gals'.  

P
reduce, re-use, recycle.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal