Author Topic: maggots  (Read 1574 times)

billm

maggots
« on: June 19, 2005, 18:35:11 »
Hello everyone, my name is bill; I am new to this form and to growing vegetables,
I have been growing turnip for the first time, I have found maggots in the ones I have started picking my neighbour has told me they are cabbage maggots .what do I do about them or is it to late, also will they spread to my other vegetables. If so how do I stop them? Bill.

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
Re: maggots
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 20:17:47 »
They could also be flea beetle larvae (very small in size)? There seems to have been a few 'outbreaks' of them this year - the adults have been eating various plants (turnips, radishes, chinese cabbage) and I have found larvae in some of my radishes. But this is the first year I have experienced them.

Like all larvae, once the eggs have hatched and the larvae are in the plant I fear that getting rid of them may be very difficult. You need to stop the adults from laying the eggs on the plants.

billm

Re: maggots
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 15:41:09 »
Thanks lizard man, a friend told me the same thing. I have 2 rows of Swede next to them probably infected as well.  Wondering if I should dig them up and try again or is it to late cheers bill.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal