Author Topic: LIVE 8 TICKETS  (Read 5220 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
LIVE 8 TICKETS
« on: June 14, 2005, 22:21:19 »
has anyone looked on that ebay at the silly people that are selling live 8 tickets for 10,000 000 quid
some ritch peeps out there
i think it is very wrong
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lottie187

Re: LIVE 8 TICKETS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 22:25:58 »
Awful, should be made to live in poverty for very long time, might teach them a thing or 3.  Lottie

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 22:40:56 »
They're not selling them for £10 000 000, people are just bidding millions to void the auctions

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 23:00:30 »
that is correct, MT. that is what bob geldof has asked people to do
people will not actually pay that price, will they?
but it's to spite the ticket touts

if you have won a ticket, and cant make it to the concert, you should give it away, not sell for your own profit. or, sell it and donate ALL the money to charity.

but there are a lot of people out there just touting those tickets for personal gain.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 23:05:59 »
How much less money will go to charity if these people sell their tickets?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 23:21:44 »
i dont know, MT.
but it is morally wrong, IMO.

apparently, ebay are about to take all these auctions off the site.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 00:52:42 »
Good

Yellow Petals

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 16:36:01 »
Pretty disgusting wasn't it?  Pretty disgusting of eBay to let it continue before the media stepped in a made a hoo haa out of it.

How do these people live with themselves?  >:(

Up the eBay revolution!!!   :D ;D

I checked again before I went to bed last night and they were all cancelled but ....
the sellers wise up to things and have now started to insert their email addresses and are asking to be contacted privately.  Again, if eBay intervene quickly enough, it should bring it to a halt.

What I'd like is for these heartless people to be shipped out to the countries in question for a month's volunteer work and make them realise just who they are taking the money away from  :'(

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 17:15:01 »
i can not belive what i saw when i was browsing the net
there is more to the net than you guys
i did not no that silly me
 :-[

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 18:32:13 »
These people have cynically got tickets just to sell.  One of the ads on ebay said "got tickets but going on holiday"  - why bother to request them then?!  Only one reason - to sell them.  I hate people profiteering off someone elses generosity.  Bob Geldof should have just sold them in the first place and made all the money for his charity instead. 

Any way for anyone who did not get tickets my sons preschool are having a fete that day so you can ALL come for free!!!!   ;D ;D much better than U2!!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 04:13:09 »
Hang on a sec, folks. Whilst it may well be morally bankrupt for ordinary mortals to sell their tickets, is it any less so for immensely wealthy superstars to gain worldwide exposure for the promotion of their latest product, absolutely free? They may be doing these gigs for nothing but as an investment in their careers, it's priceless.
What I find more obscene is to hear a megastar pontificating about the world's poor, when earlier this year that same megastar paid for a favourite hat to be flown from one continent to another for a gig (and then didn't even wear it).
I heard Bob Geldof's rather hysterical rant today about doing all he could to shut e-bay down. For a man with such good business acumen, why didn't he have printed on the tickets: 'not for resale' or 'non-transferrable' which I understand would have had some legal clout and might have prevented the whole sorry e-bay mess?
A friend of mine tried (unsuccessfully) to get a ticket with the sole intention of selling it to raise money towards the cost of a private operation for a family member who is in a great deal of pain and on a very long NHS waiting list.
Greed? Selfishness? No, desperation.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 08:55:36 »
I also couldn't understand why something wasn't printed on the tickets. I'm afraid in this rather selfish society which seems to prevail, e-bay, brilliant though it is in many respects, has rather fuelled the idea that you can make a profit on almost anything & sadly people are prepared to pay way over the odds for many things. To his great surprise my son got 2 tickets. I didn't.

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 10:28:09 »
Got to agree with you Amazin - can't understand how such immensely rich people can rant on about inequalities. Raising awareness can only be a good thing but as you say the stars who are appearing will also gain lots of publicity for their careers. Who do they think they are fooling?

Yellow Petals

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 11:37:06 »
They are already very much in the public eye, that's why they were chosen to do it!
If they are doing it for free and it raises not only awareness but lots of money then I don't see the problem with them receiving "free" publicity?  I don't follow the point being made?  If you were incredibly popular/admired/famous/loved (delete as applicable hehe) and very much in the public eye, wouldn't you use your celebrity status to try and influence people into doing something decent against poverty?  I know I flipping would no matter what the cynics might say.

The world and his wife knows what's wrong with people trying to make money for themselves out of a charitable event.  Or almost the world and his wife it appears after the eBay fiasco. 

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 11:51:18 »

What I find more obscene is to hear a megastar pontificating about the world's poor, when earlier this year that same megastar paid for a favourite hat to be flown from one continent to another for a gig (and then didn't even wear it).

Amen Amazin, Bono is a bit of tit isn't he.  Charity seems to have become somewhat of a fashion accesory in the past few months with the whole wristband thing and now thislive8 ticket fiasco.  I find it unsettling that some people have become so depoliticised that over something so important as the plight of africa charity can become a commodity.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 11:58:22 by Mubgrub »

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 12:13:51 »
As you say,YP,  the world and his wife knows what's wrong with people trying to make money for themselves out of a charitable event...which, in my opinion, is what these stars are doing, just as much as those e-bay ticket sellers.
Some of the stars involved in this are playing the Hyde Park gig then flying off to also play in Rome on the same day. Gosh! Wizard wheeze chaps - what fun!
As a publicity stunt, all it does is draw attention to the fact that these people have money to burn - or will they get some publicity keen airline to pay for it, thus keeping their own wonga in the bank?
And some of the stars involved in this stunt also bang on about their environmental commitment i.e. saving the planet - so what about the air pollution and global warming to which this unnecessery air trip contributes?

It does grate on me that these charitable events are always based on rich superstars "generously giving their time" and the mere mortals actually giving the money.
And, speaking as a legend in my own mind, I would not expect you ordinary people to give a percentage of your hard earned cash without matching it from one of my offshore accounts.
Oh, and if I had the kind of influence I so clearly deserve, Gardener's World would be a much better programme!

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Yellow Petals

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 15:37:57 »
As you say,YP,  the world and his wife knows what's wrong with people trying to make money for themselves out of a charitable event...which, in my opinion, is what these stars are doing, just as much as those e-bay ticket sellers.
Some of the stars involved in this are playing the Hyde Park gig then flying off to also play in Rome on the same day. Gosh! Wizard wheeze chaps - what fun!

But the point is.... without the big names appearing and whizzing from one place to another, the people wouldn't want to go and see the concert and the money wouldn't be made! Nobody will pay to see a nobody so what's the use in that?

A lot of the people who are appearing at these shows (and a lot more besides, including my good self) do give a lot to charity it just isn't publicised all year round as this event is.  Knocking a personality before doing a bit of research isn't on really.  Most of the artists appearing (at least in the UK) make huge donations from their money to help others, but they won't brag about it.  I can't stand Elton John, he's a jumped up, self elevating little (big?!) tart but boy does he give to charity and that's what's important.

I agree with you that a lot of them have egos like inflatable castles and I don't care for most of them but I do care for the donations and time they give because at the end of the day, they are helping to save someone's life and if I have to put up with their mugs on the tv or the front page of the newspaper because of it, then I will happily do so.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 15:40:20 by Yellow Petals »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 18:09:44 »
These posting seem to me to be getting out of hand, with who does what.
Look most of these bands do an awful lot for charity so stop berating what you do not fully know about, for gods sake just get the sodding money in and help these peeps.  I met Sir Bob Geldof a while ago and he is a very very caring person he really does care about the starving of Africa among st many other things ,that people do not hear about, as for "free" publicity for the big bands that publicity brings in mega amounts of much needed cash for desperately hungry and sick people. give the Bands a break for Gods sake all this nitpicking!!!!!!!. ::).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 23:17:22 »
Geldof's been involved so long it has to be genuine. A guy doesn't have to be fake just because he's a famous pop singer!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 08:09:34 »
How on earth could Joe Bloggs or John Smith make any impact on world poverty?  ???  Get either one of them to write a letter to each of the Big 8 and see how far that would go, my bet would be, straight in the bin. ::)

They may have walked, cycled or sailed half way round the world to raise awareness and most of us wouldn’t give it a second thought, stick someone famous in their shoes and it’s a whole different ball game. ;)

I admire the big stars for their charity work and I fully appreciate that it puts them one more step up the ladder of fame, good for them and most of all bloody good for the cause. 8)

Let’s not forget it’s "You" that put them where they are today, they didn’t win their wealth on the lottery, and it’s their money to do with what they want, whether it be put to charity or made into roll-ups and smoked. :o

I am more angry at reality shows that employ those has been stars that fell off the ladder and brought back to make absolute pratts of themselves to become popular again. >:(

YP you took the words straight out of my mouth. ;) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal