Author Topic: Advice, please!  (Read 7127 times)

undercarriage plan

Advice, please!
« on: June 12, 2005, 18:31:42 »
I'm wanting to order a polytunnel for growing bedding plants, could anyone tell me whether I'd do better with clear polythene or politherm? Thank you Lottie

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: Advice, please!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 20:00:44 »
 :) the politherm seems to have better uv resistence, copes  better with condensation & also offers some insulation :) Don't know about price comparisons  ??? I like the sound of the politherm & would head off in that direction if it was me  ;) ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 20:27:33 »
MArley, you're a star!! You've confirmed what I thought, I just needed a nudge in the right direction!! Will take pic when purchased and up!! Though you may have to stand on head to view!  :o :o :o Lottie

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 21:21:04 »
 ;D Pardon my parsnips ;D but what is politherm? I have a roll of bluey coloured polythene about a thousand gauge, is it anything like that? ??? I also have been given a fare amount of blue plastic water pipe that I will cut up to make 4ft arches for my raised beds, that plus the polywollydoodle should make a decent polytunnel or two. ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 07:44:04 »
 ;D Glad you are going to use the politherm I really think it is much better it doesn't degrade so quickly. >:(  look forward to seeing the finished article.  ;D Happy building  :) :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:56:30 »
Still not too sure, Roy!! It retains more heat, and is supposed to be better at dealing with condensation, slightly more hard wearing? Still doing alot of research, but as a one off buy, want to get the best result.  Lottie 

portway farm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 14:47:13 »
www.firsttunnels.co.uk is a place we can thumb ups. Fantastic service.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 15:49:55 »
www.firsttunnels.co.uk is a place we can thumb ups. Fantastic service.

They're really rather reasonable, aren't they? I'd love a greenhouse but not on the lottie (I can see glass getting smashed by the oiks) and so a polytunnel is a good compromise. And I've got somewhere I could put one...

Just no £££. *sigh*

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 20:07:06 »
Am I being more dense than normal, or is it right that the price quoted doesn't include the polythene? And that you pay extra for that? If so, considering bying the structure secound hand and the covering new. This is all so confusing..!  ???
Lottie

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 13:40:49 »
 Hi, just looked at the site from the link, 1st Tunnels.  Looks to me like you select the size which takes you to the page, then select size again look undeneath & selct the type of polythene you want & there is the price of frame & polythene, extras are underneath again. Hope this make sense.   ??? tht's how I read it anyway. My son just recovers his frames every few years  ;D ;D
Any help???????

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 14:53:01 »
Will look again!! Always worried about clicking that mouse and ending up with 10 polytunnels, all 50ft long!!! Thanks Marley,  Lottie ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 14:02:30 »
 ;D Have same worry  ??? ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 21:10:21 »
Just to update you, still not decided!!! Oh dear  ::) Think will clear space first.might help the situation!! Lottie

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 14:05:05 »
:) You know there must be a garden centre or nursery somewhere near you where they sell them, that you could visit & find out what you want to know or just get on the blower & give them a call first, see if they can put your mind at rest, or look in your local paper for a 2nd hand one, I know it's a difficult decision but you will make one eventually I'm sure.  ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 18:13:13 »
Thanks Marley, but on the other hand, this time next year we could now be on page 66 and I could be well on my way to becoming a senior YaBB God!!!!  ;D Lottie

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 18:37:02 »
 ;D Well there is always that thought. !!! ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 18:09:40 »
Well, I've made a start!! Just beginning to clear the ground.  Getting quite evxcited now!! Still haven't bought one, I live under the adage of "when you don't know what to do, then do nothing at all!" Works for me, and usually some solution presents itself!! FIngers crossed...  Lottie  ;D ;D ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2005, 07:44:29 »
;D So do you have an aching back today??  I know that when I cleared the ground for my last g/house, I had to dig out three old shrubs & it seemed to take forever to get them out, their roots were everywhere. It was very hard work, but you know I never think of that now when I'm in there except that I should have got the 8'x8' instead of the 6'x8'. It is not the only greenhouse I have, but it seems you never have enough room a few years down the line.  ??? ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 20:28:40 »
It was my neck that took the brunt of it!! Not got to digging yet, strimming nettles before digging them up.  Going to be a long haul, but worth it, I hope!! Lottie  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2005, 21:20:03 »
I think I may soon have a problem with the greenhouse. Late husband set part of it on railway sleepers 12ft x 8ft greenhouse.. It has been up several years. I have noticed that one of the sleepers is rotting. Spoke to my son, he said don't worry me and the boys (son-in-laws) can sort it. We will prop it up that side and  renew the sleeper. I think I will go out that day, I can almost hear the glass going tinkle tinkle now. One of two things, either remove glass or get a load of replacement glass in!!!!! They did a similar thing when one of the supports slipped under our summer house (I always like things off ground to enable cats to get under in case of those furry things) that worked out fine but I am thinking it will be a bit different with a greenhouse. Good luck with your tunnel Lottie. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal