• Hectare
    • wagalicious
books
« on: June 12, 2005, 16:57:36 »
hey just got a bargin book at the car boot's
it is by someone called Percy Thrower
and it is called "Fresh veg and herbs from your garden"
this seems a realy good book
does he do any more and is he a good authour  ???
Matt
 :D

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: books
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 17:08:28 »
Only posthumously!
Percy Thrower was the presenter of Gardener's World beofre Geoff Hamilton. He was 'sacked' for advertising a lawn mower on ITV.
He was also the Director of shrewsbury Parks and Gardens and the first of Blue Peter's garden advisers.
He wrote a large number of books all of which are still to be found in most second hand book shops etc.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 17:10:07 »
you must be very young Waggi!! ;D

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 17:21:08 »
26 years old
watched bluepeter did not no that was him

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 17:35:29 »
Way, Way before then. Old books are often very good though! I picked one up from 1950 called The Northern Gardener, and it is still very good for us up north! Very 'Dig for Victory in it's style, but good advice.

Brian

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 18:43:41 »
Back in Percy Thrower's day the TV garden was justover the lane from my plot; it had originally been part of the site but the Council rented one bit, the Botanical Gardens the other, and the site barely survived after losing the Botanicals' section. Old hands tell me Percy used to wander round the site dispensing advice.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 19:17:45 »
Percy Thrower, Peter Seabrook, Geoffrey Smith, Geoff Hamilton, they don't make gardeners like that any more :'(

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 22:39:35 »
Oh wow, I remember Percy Thrower. My Dad always watched him when he was on the telly ;D

They certainly don't make them like him, anymore!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 10:04:00 »
Do not know about anyone else on here, but I consider myself to be just as good a gardender as any of these TV presenters past and present, may not know the fancy Latin names but what the eck,  and judging by some of the advice given on the A4A boards there are more than a few gardenders on here who know there stuff. You can read as many books as you like but nothing will replace the practical side of doing it your self.
                                                                               :)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 16:42:37 »
Do not know about anyone else on here, but I consider myself to be just as good a gardender as any of these TV presenters past and present, may not know the fancy Latin names but what the eck, and judging by some of the advice given on the A4A boards there are more than a few gardenders on here who know there stuff. You can read as many books as you like but nothing will replace the practical side of doing it your self.
 :)
My mum always said that if you dont love yourself no one will love you so that is kind off the same thing

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 18:19:28 »
Wasn't Percy Thrower the Blue Peter gardener when it was more of a sort of dark grey Peter and it used to take 15 minutes before he warmed up enough to be visible?   
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 19:27:42 »
That's the man. He lived near Shrewsbury in a house called The Magnolias. It is still there and I think his daughter lives in it. Have a feeling that it is open under the Yellow Book thing, but not sure. There is also a Percy Thrower Garden Centre just off the A5 near to Shrewsbury.
Gardening is the great leveller.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 19:37:38 »
waggi I did not mean my post to come over as though i love myself, I can assure you I do not, What I was trying to say that most of these TV presenters are not as good as they think they are, you only have to look at Gardeners World to see what I mean, I think it was at the beginning of May when they were planting there bedding plants out.......How did they cope with the frosts Monty you never let us know.

Once again  waggi sorry you have took my letter out of context.
                                                                                                      ???
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 21:57:35 »
sorry did not mean it like that opppppps
hope i did not upset you
 :-*

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 22:53:35 »
What I was trying to say that most of these TV presenters are not as good as they think they are

Percy Thrower, Peter Seabrook, Geoffrey Smith and Geoff Hamilton are and were every bit as good as they thought they were I can assure you. I have been gardening since I was a small child, I even worked in the trade for a while and have a fair knowledge of Latin names etc. but These gardeners have forgotten more than I will ever know.

Alan Titchmarsh, Monty Don & co. fair comment

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 23:27:36 »
In those days they had gardeners who presented TV programmes. Now they have presenters who (hopefully) garden.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 12:46:11 »
I think you've hit the nail on the Robert.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 13:20:53 »
well put Robert. But I don't think it's necessarily the individual presenters' faults. The bbc and co think they have to make their programmes more appealing by having young, pretty presenters, or the young audience won't watch it. Old people in flat caps give gardening a fuddy duddy image. But give me the old, knowledgeable people any day.

I used to love watching Percy Thrower on Blue Peter!
gone to pot :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 23:26:20 »
I didn't say it was their fault! It's the fault of whoever plans the programmes; they could find experts after the old style if they wanted.

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 17:25:29 »

Flat cap image does me no good.....................now Charlie Dimmock I could
 watch her till the cows come home !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P 8) 8)

(Did I just say that out loud )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal