Author Topic: Lottie watering system?  (Read 6935 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Re: Lottie watering system?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 16:34:16 »
There are some great little timers around that run off 2 AA batteries, and seem to last all summer. Lidl had some at £13.00 earlier in the year.
Brian

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 20:02:43 »
As per Gardenetics, only it's Hozelock and £40 and C or D cells -last years (at least 2) though. That said I'd have used a cheapie if I could have found one.

Jeremy

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2005, 11:00:44 »
Tried many methods in GH even a big round water thing from one of those water cool machines! Not much luck though, at moment we just have upside down coke(2L) pushed down to bottom of tomato pots and just fill them up,water soaks "up" the soil as it dries.
Wonder how much rain comes of the house roof??? ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2005, 17:06:35 »
So what does the battery do? Operating a timer is one thing, but there has to be a mechanical action of some sort for the water to flow.

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 11:50:27 »
Opens a valve at given times of day for a given duration -gravity does the rest. The timer fits between the tap and the hose on my system, the hose runs into the green house where it splits off into a couple of lengths of seep hose. You just plug it all together, the fittings are standard Hozelock (or rip off).

http://photos15.flickr.com/19073704_4cc82c0340.jpg

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 18:18:55 »
That looks like a bit of allright. Doesn't the seep hose get clogged up with algea and such?

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 21:02:02 »
Doesn't seem to -I don't run it all year round -just in the summer. At the end of the year I take it up, it's just under mulch, pull the bung out of the end and flush it through. It's only been a couple of years so far though.

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 09:15:48 »
Me thinks I'll be looking at the DIY stores this week. Cheers, Derbex, that seems to be the best solution so far. Maybe I could couple the timer just to hoses and 'T' joints rather than a seep hose then I can direct each outlet to a pot.

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 09:30:42 »
Yup you could do that -or some sort of drip system. One slight fly in the ointment is the variable head of water if it's coming from a butt, the more you use the less pressure there is and so the less water/min. In practice it's not proved a huge problem -but I have linked two butts together (that's the 2nd tap in the picture). It lasts a week pretty well, but 2 is pushing it unless there's some rain. I has thought of trying to rig a header tank -but it's really a project rather than a necessity.

If we go away this year I'm going to have to rig up a different system as everything is in half grow bags this year, so let me know how you get on with your version :)

Jeremy.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 14:02:22 »
First I got to find me a timer! Got any addresses that post to Belgium?
I have a double butt rigged up and if thats not enough then it's at least better than nowt. Cheers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal