Author Topic: topping up  (Read 2839 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
topping up
« on: June 09, 2005, 10:17:58 »
These last few sunny days have seen the water level in my pond dip by about 4 cm. What is the consensus here about topping up? The last time I topped up with tap water and added a small amount of dechlorinator, but I read somewhere that some people prefer to use rainwater. Is this the better option?

Thanks

Tricia

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: topping up
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:41:27 »
Hi Tricia,

I have in the past used both and provided an appropriate dechlorinator is used with the tap water I doubt there would be a significant difference.  I think most people on here have water butts which they use to top up as/when required.  My butt is a bit low at the moment so I've been using the hosepipe recently ;)

Tony

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 15:20:19 »
I topped mine up with tapwater yesterday (waterbutt bought, but not yet attached and no rain since I got it!) the level had dropped so much it was only about 1in above my marginal shelf (haven't topped it up all year and it has been hot!) It was old water, so I hope it's ok. and I only put about 30 pints in.
gone to pot :D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 15:41:07 »
Hi there pondies!! My nature pond tends not to go down as quickly as there is no fountain spraying water in the wind,and as i have to regularly spray all round the pond with a hosepipe as i have many water loving plants round it,it gets a top up quite often.

My fish ponds i always use a dechlorinator if i am putting a fair amount in but as they both hold quite a lot i don't bother if a small amount.I have however started filling up 3 nappy buckets!! as they have lids,with tap water and keep them outside,then top up the ponds every few days from them.It really all depends on the size of the pond.
Margaret

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 15:55:54 »
How long does the chlorine take to evaporate? I've a feeling I will have to add more water to mine. The water level is still about 6in from the top.
gone to pot :D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 16:07:56 »
If you dribble it in very slowly with a hose it is better and if you move the hose around also.The other option is to spray it in vigorously into buckets then leave the top slightly ajar for at least 24 hours or longer to let the chlorine escape.The only real safe way is to use dechlorinator though.it is not expensive.
Margaret

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 17:58:46 »
Thanks everyone - I topped up today with the hose splashing into the pond from a height of about 50cm. It was running for17 mins, but I didn't use the dechlorinator this time. I'll check the water tomorrow when it's had time to be filtered a couple of times. The fish seem quite happy. :)

I can no longer see the bottom of the pond :( even though I have barley straw under the waterfall and am dosing with montmorillonite clay on a weekly basis. The slimy weed seems to be pretty much gone, but there is a thick layer of algae around the perimeter and on the stems of water plants. This disintegrates on contact making the water murky for a few minutes before re-forming - Ugh!

On the whole, though, my new pond is giving me a great deal of pleasure. I had about 40 taddies in a large plant basket suspended in the pond where I've been feeding them on boiled lettuce for the past several weeks. There are only half a dozen left, but today I found four froglets hiding among the stones on the beach. I hope they survive and that the rest will have enough sense to jump onto the stones and not directly into the pond when the time comes. I imagine they would make a tasty morsel for the larger of my fish!! :'(

Tricia

maz

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 21:59:41 »
I run the hose in if the level begins to drop , so far with no ill effects to fish or plants. Infact the fish love to swim through the water as it comes out of the hose. 
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 22:23:58 »
I run the hose in if the level begins to drop , so far with no ill effects to fish or plants. Infact the fish love to swim through the water as it comes out of the hose. 

I would check for parasites or maybe your water is lacking oxygen if your fish are swimming under the spray from your hose ??? fish are generally timid :(

maz

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 07:40:28 »
Mine are not timid Roy. They come for food when anyone approaches.

Honestly they are fine, no parasites or anything.
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 18:51:03 »
Hi Maz, Mine lso love the hose pipe and swim in to it, taking turns. They are rosey minnows and very 'tame' - they come to your hand when you are about to feed them if you put your hand down into the water. I have a small waterfall and the fish also love diving about in that - I'm sure some think they're really miniature salmon trying to jump back upstream!
Dawn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal