Author Topic: Anyone know the name of this Campanula?  (Read 7078 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Anyone know the name of this Campanula?
« on: June 08, 2005, 10:42:02 »

Often found in Garden Centres being sold as a houseplant, think I've seen it as an outdoor plant too. Only ever seems to be labeled as Campanula but what? I've never had any luck growing it indoors so am trying it outdoors this year but would love to know more about it, eg, name, cultivation requirements, aspect, is it fully hardy? size,  infact anything.

sukiwolf

• Not So New ...
Re: Anyone know the name of this Campanula?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 22:28:19 »
Looks a little like a double version of Campanula carpatica white clips and blaue clips. ??? Even if it isn't most campanulas will  be fine outdoors and will grow into a sizable clump and flower in june and july.They like a moist soil and partial shade but most grow almost anywhere . :)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 22:44:21 »
Thanks Sukiwolf  ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 22:49:06 »
I'd agree with that; the other possibility would have been one of the variants of c. isophylla. I've grown mine in a wall basket on a sheltered east-facing wall through several winters; also had it in a hanging basket. One word of warning - like all campanulas, the roots spread far and wide, as does the plant given half a chance... 8)
[Hi to everyone, by the way  :)]

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:08:15 »
Thanks Rosa and welcome  ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 18:49:56 »
I picked up one at a garden centre the other week and have just found the label which says "Campanula Blue Bali.  Height 15-20cm; position well drained soil, sunny situation.  Flowering spring and autumn.  Excellent for containers and rockeries."

sukiwolf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 20:26:33 »
I have it I think. :) It's a new cultivar called campanula le belle for the blue and la bello for the white .Check out this page http://www.floraselect.co.uk/index.php?page=shopping&shop_cat_id=139

Sadly I think they are an annual form though.

Edit : since seeing the above message about blue bali it does seem like it's more likely and even sadder it IS a houseplant according to the sites. :(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 20:34:11 by sukiwolf »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 20:34:32 »
Mine's a perennial according to the label. :)

sukiwolf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 20:43:34 »
That's great Jill.Bridgemere seedds and another site listed it amongst the houseplants,but if it's a perennial then even better. ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 20:58:53 »
Yes, it is a perennial according to a Spanish site I've just been reading. It gives its full name as " Campanula hailodg. blue bali", and suggests that it doesn't like to be in full sun all day - but Spanish sun is probably hotter than UK sun  ;D

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 12:49:46 »
I have several of these smaller campanulas - mostly bred from c.portenschlagiana or c.garganica. It should be perennial and will appreciate being out of hot sun which tends to make it shrivel a bit. After blooming, yank all the old stems out -they come out easily- and you should get several flushes throughout the summer. Also, they like a well drained but moist soil (difficult, i know - I usually pot mine up in John Innes 3 with some added grit). Although it is sold as a houseplant, it should be perfectly happy outside. I would keep it in a pot though as it has a tendency to run (very like c.cochlearifolia -Fairy thimbles) although it is so charming it is hardly a problem.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 15:35:12 »
Thanks all for your help. With all the suggestions given I've been able to do some googling.

Campanula cochlearifolia 'Elizabeth Oliver' looks very similar but doesn't appear to come in white. Campanula le belle and la bello also look similar but the white one of this only fades to white, mine are white from the start.

I've also looked at Campanula hailodg. blue bali and this definately looks like what I have. Translation : Campanula Haylodgensis 'Blue Bali' so this is probably the full name of yours too Jill.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 19:47:38 »
Thanks for giving the full version of the name, Twospot - I'd not been able to find it, and it was annoying me! :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 14:54:26 »
I put one outside but it didn't survive the winter, so it might be perennial but not for me, so take cuttings , if it does survive the winter so much the better.but at least you'll have back up if it doesn't.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 16:06:32 »
Thanks Val, I like dabbling in cuttings  :P especially when they take  ;D which with me, seems to be most that I do  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal