Author Topic: Grapefruit Wine - Help  (Read 2154 times)

Beer Monster

• Not So New ...
    • Ready to Grow
Grapefruit Wine - Help
« on: June 07, 2005, 16:27:43 »
I have messed up my recipe for Grapefruit wine.

The recipe is simply (as am I   ::)), juice + water + nutrient + yeast. Stir twice a day for 6 days strain and add sugar. Ferment out, rack and bottle.

Whilst putting the ingredients together I got ahead of myself and added the sugar at the first stage.

Q. will anything happen now or do I just start again.

ta
BM
 :-[

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: Grapefruit Wine - Help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 15:24:22 »
Should be fine.

Jeremy

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 12:12:25 »
Hi beer monster,
                         In most recipes it is usual for the sugar to be added at the start of fermentation. By adding the sugar 6 days after the other ingredients you run the risk of the yeast all being used up by the sugar in the juice &  not able to cope with a sudden introduction of more sugar. The golden rule is not to add too much sugar initially, no more than 1 kilo of sugar per gallon in the mix.  If you are making a dessert style wine which needs to have a higher alcohol content , then you should dissolve any extra sugar in water and add to the fermenting wine in small doses as fermentation progresses.
                                           Adrian.

Beer Monster

• Not So New ...
    • Ready to Grow
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:30:22 »
Thanks for the help guys.

It took a few days to get going but its bubbling away fine now.

The recipe I use is at...
http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/dear.htm

it has 1.75kg of sugar, I have made this a couple of times and shall I say the taste is complex but nice and very strong (I should take sg measures sometime).

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the outcomes of the brews.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal