Author Topic: Blackcurrants  (Read 2362 times)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Blackcurrants
« on: June 28, 2005, 16:00:52 »
Hi all, at the start of the year, I took over a new bit of plot next to my existing one and inherited a blackcurrant bush in the process. 2 things I need to know...

1) I picked a load of large plump currants on Sunday. They were definitely edible, but a little sour - will they get any sweeter if they're left on the bush for longer?

2) I spotted a few weevils on/around the plant. will they harm it? (There didn't seem to be any bits of leaf missing!)

ta muchly!

jams

jeremyf

• Quarter Acre
Re: Blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 16:30:28 »
Ive got some on my newly planted bushes. I did read somewhere that you have to wait a week after they go black before you pick them. Do you know the variety?

Jeremy

jammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 17:05:40 »
Don't know the variety - it's been there for about 10 years. Even the original owner's forgotten!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 21:07:41 »
The fruit on mine has been sitting there all green for a couple of weeks at least :(  Should it all be black and edible by now?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 21:11:06 »
Mine are just beginning to turn these last few days, not nearly ready to pick though, but we have just had the most incredible storm  - hope it hasn't washed them all away!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 23:13:14 »
My red currants are just reddening up, my blackcurrants are still a way off yet.  They will go sweet, not as sweet as strawbs, they have a tang, a gorgeous scent, ooo I loves blackcurrants.  I leave them until the birds show an interest and then try!  My goosegogs are still as sour as can be, so I won't be rushing. 

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:19 »
Rain and lots of it is what we need to swell the blackcurrent fruits this makes them sweeter and they do good if you can plant them where it is damp. I have two bushes at home next to my shed and the rainwater comes off and down on to them. I have been watering them the last few weeks as well to make sure of a good crop at home.

jammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:18:47 »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try to be patient and wait a little longer  ::)

j

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:32:15 »
Our red and blackcurrants are just starting to ripen and our gooseberries are also just starting to go red, they are so bitter and sour when they are green.  Yesterday I noticed our raspberries are also ripening. Strawberries are now pickable and for me it looks like a great year for soft fruit. You do have to be patient and pick at the right time though.  We also have various little pests on our crops particularly the black currants  which have some sticky leaves but so far is making no difference to the fruit.  Good luck with yours. It will be worth waiting for. :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 20:22:49 »
Some blackcurrents and redcurrents picked today, strawberries have finished already, raspberries have been picking for a couple of weeks. Some gooseberries picked already but more to come. Have just made a summer pudding.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal