Author Topic: Opinions on cats  (Read 19358 times)

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Opinions on cats
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:00:37 »
I cleared my salad bed over the weekend ready for transplanting and infact got all the planting done. It would have been enjoyable except it was raining and I was up to my wrists in cat poo with my rubber gloves on. Yuck.

Anyway I sorted it out and built some pretty impressive cat defence with chicken wire. This morning I looked and a very determined cat had squeezed through a small gap and dug two dirt great big holes destroying no less than one whole row of land cress whilst simultaneously burying the adjacent row of lettuce.

Cat lovers! What's that all about then?

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Re: Opinions on cats
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:17:02 »
I LOVE CATS XXXXX, theres loads of cats around here, but ive never once come across a cat truffle in my veggie patch garden, probably because my own cat is so protective over my garden he wont let any other cat in!!! .If one happens to enter, you can gaurantee a huge cat riot.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:22:49 »
Same as squirrels -rats with good PR

Jeremy

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:29:16 »
  :) put a couple of empty pop bottles upside down on sticks in the ground around your rows, they are not keen on the noise the bottles make rattling in the wind  ;D ;D I like cats but not when they use my place as a loo !!! :o I am told old cats are lazy & don't bury it  >:( >:(
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 10:37:14 »
I've bought some plants (can't remember what they're called though) from a local garden centre which is supposed to deter cats. Have them planted in my front garden at home which is quite an active moggie lavatory. Too early to tell if they work yet. I've read that wormwood is also supposed to be a good animal deterrent.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:37:33 »
I've bought some plants (can't remember what they're called though) from a local garden centre which is supposed to deter cats. Have them planted in my front garden at home which is quite an active moggie lavatory. Too early to tell if they work yet. I've read that wormwood is also supposed to be a good animal deterrent.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 10:40:47 »
There is a product called ROAR, which is Lion Poo from the ZOO. It scares the little bu**ers Sh**less.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:45:36 »
Which defeats the whole object of it surely? ;D

David R

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 11:31:11 »
toxoplasmosis, cats carry it, pregnant women lose babies because of it! Big rats basically.

My father used to hose them with hot water at 1st sight. Then used to cut strips of metal coathanger or thick wire and insert into the soil around vunerable plants, they would not risk setting their ar**s down on those.

They are also responsible for the deaths of thousands of our native songbirds every year, nice.  Do i like them, oh yeah, love em ;D

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 11:45:18 »
There is a product called ROAR, which is Lion Poo from the ZOO. It scares the little bu**ers Sh**less.

Lions Roar really works well I had cats cacking in me herb wheel back along and this prduct stopped it all... mahn no wee cat is gonna cack in a place where they think a much bigger cat is cacking.. and i did see some very worried looking cats in me garden who was thinking about it, but then decided against it lol so a HUGE THUMBS UP for Lions Roar

Oz

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 12:14:37 »
Meant to add I strew holly, Pyracantha and any other prickly clippings as a deterrent -although this can have drawbacks at weeding time.

Jeremy

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 13:46:45 »

quote from david r Today at 11:31:11.

toxoplasmosis, cats carry it, pregnant women lose babies because of it! Big rats basically.   

Cats dont carry it, If they are wormed regularly by responsible owners!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 13:56:47 by gunnerbee »

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 13:52:02 »
 :) Quite right Pregnant women beware  >:(
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 14:05:14 »
Ed - Northern Exposure fan?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 15:56:59 »
Well I have a lettuce bed full of cat poo, and dug up plants because of them  >:(

I also went up the plot the other day and saw something moving under my fleece, yup a cat had got in, and it was something like Tom and Jerry watching it trying to get out when it heard me!
Of course it had squished stuff where it had been laying waiting for birds! :'(

When we llived overseas the Tiger people Sigfried and Roy visited a local hotel where feral cats were in abundance, they used to take the tigers walkies around the back of the hotel to do their bit, the hotel was free of cats for months afterwards! ;D  ;D   ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 16:14:10 »
the only thing that repels my cats is tea tree oil, they run a mile. although i love cats i totally understand why some people don't - that's why mine are housecats.

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 16:49:35 »
Ed - Northern Exposure fan?

Every once in a while some interesting non sci fi comes along. My red & yellow chards have grown in to light sabers. Not the straightest light saber you've ever seen but good enough to jedi swipe the next cat that comes along. Ordering may sith overalls from darth fashionable and turning to the dark side.

That's a yes in case you were wondering.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 16:52:43 »
i spotted my own cat mark his territory on one of my sprouting plants, However wasnt that bothered about it, better than the crap they spray on shop brought stuff anyway!!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 17:14:13 »
gb- & I bet your cat uses someone else's patch.

We have at least 3 neighbouring cats use ours. Shame about the gun law!

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 17:42:08 »
Cats use our garden, which really upsets Mrs Ptennisnet - she hates them with a passio...We found that ultrasonic deterrants worked, until some b******* nicked it  >:(

Everything else we've tried hasn't including anti cat smelly sticks, anti cat smelly gels,  pepper and the thistly looking plant that supposed to deter them. 

However, the other weekend I was busting after too much wine.  Remembering Hugh from River Cottage deterring foxes, I went on their favourite spot  -  a part of the garden where nothing grows succesfully.  The next morning they'd left their evidence in the flower bed instead >:(  I don't know if it was me or coincidence.  There're now prickly branches laid onto that flowerbed!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal