Author Topic: Just the weather for bindweed.....  (Read 2152 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Just the weather for bindweed.....
« on: June 06, 2005, 13:44:09 »
... I don't know about the rest of you, but this next week is going to be spent pulling and digging the bindweed and horsetail that has really been enjoying the last few days of damp weather.

I know some allotments don't allow fires, but I will put all bindweed and horsetail into my little tin incinerator and when it dries out it'll burn, baby burn.  What I do then is to put the ashes in the compost heap - living dangerously I suppose, but I am pretty confident that once all the plant is burnt it shouldn't regenerate unless it is bindweedia phoenixii! :D
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Just the weather for bindweed.....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 17:23:24 »
Ours is going mad, too - but it's in the 'herbaceous' bits, so I wipe any leaves I can reach with Roundup & let it die in its own time.

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 19:46:26 »
The bind weed on my lotty has gone mental over the last week.

I too am going to burn mine as it's such a pain :-X :-X

I think we all need some good luck with it ;D

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:02:10 »
Hi weedin Project,
                             I have always burned Horsetail and Bindweed it is the only sure way to dispose of them. ;D

I then spread the ashes on the soil as a warning to the others of what is coming to them. >:(

PREMTAL

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:13:17 »
I know... I have white bindweed in the back garden thanks to the neighbour (it came under the fence and I can't keep it out) so was out there on Sunday with tumbleweed gel, painting away. Now to see how much I got, and to repeat the painting in 3 weeks or so. It's among my clematis montana so incredibly hard to paint !

I'm not even mentioning the pink bindweed in the lottie... oops too late !

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal