Author Topic: The Real Good Life - ITV1  (Read 2242 times)

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
The Real Good Life - ITV1
« on: May 30, 2005, 21:39:35 »
Saw an advert for this yesterday. Looks sort of interesting.
The Real Good Life - Tuesday 31st May 8pm ITV1

New series in which three families give up the rat race and don their wellies for a year of self-sufficiency, growing vegetables and keeping pigs in their suburban gardens. The Smiths have six hungry mouths to feed and the Aldridges each have a different reason for wanting to take part - while the Attfields hope their new lifestyle will help them start a brood of their own. Melissa Berry narrates

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: The Real Good Life - ITV1
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 22:49:29 »
Thanks ;) I must try and remember to tape it as I will probs be on here then, just can't keep away ;D

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 17:15:43 »
Hi
Im looking forward to watching this.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 00:07:13 »
>:( I watched a little and came back on here... Boring ;D

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 14:04:22 »
Have to agree with you - a bit of a disappointment. To compensate though, I did get a laugh out of winding my son up that we were going to be on the next series  ;D  ;D  ;D - his face was a picture!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 14:09:21 »
I watched it too and found it a bit irritating!  Might try and catch the last one  of the series to see how they got on though!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 14:23:49 »
 :) Oh this show was tedious. Gave up and turned over. watched good old Bill Oddie on nature watch much better.

Guys you lot on here put them to shame. Lets hope they get their acts together.

By the way I am not working and living on a small pension and trying to be self sufficient. Veg this year chicks next. No one is paying my rent!!! I should be so lucky.............. am looking for a hard working, self sufficency nut any offers????
Supernan!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 16:32:06 »
It was typical that they used well off families with enormous gardens - they could have made a much more interesting program by showing real lottie holders and what they do throughout the year. 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 18:15:31 »
Exactly Justy.  The way I saw it, these people are having their mortgages paid for a year, they are being given 40 quid a week (is that each) to live on to start with, and they have plenty of land, and obviously plenty of cash still in the bank - afterall, they could afford to hire to turf strippers etc.  What a great way of getting on telly, having your mortgage paid, not having to work and poncing around in the ground.  You never know, it might change their lives...... ::)

Off soap box and ranting stopped.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 20:27:49 »
They could have taken a bunch of people, given them a quarter of an acre each (since that's what they used to reckon an agricultural labourer needed to feed his family) and let them get on with it for a year.

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 23:28:55 »
When they look for people to take part in programmes like this I believe they choose the ones who are guaranteed to be absolutely hopeless. It's supposed to be 'good television'. Personally I don't find the spectacle of people making a complete mess of things particularly entertaining.

I still remember that woman in the WW2 series who couldn't cook!

Sue

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 00:07:21 »
How would a woman who couldn't cook have managed back then? It was one of the vital skills; no microwave, no convenience foods unless you lived out of the chippy, and husbands weren't supposed to be able to cook at all. Mostly they came home from work and expected their meal to be ready.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 21:33:47 »
Another decent idea for a TV show ends up as a shallow, excruciating joke. I hope the lot of 'em starve ;)

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 13:21:05 »
you have hit the nail on the head MT.  It could have been an interesting informative programme but once again they have gone for the 'personality clash' perspective which detracts completely from what they are trying to achieve.  Having said all that I expect I will still watch it in the vain hope that I might get somehthing out of it.... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal