Author Topic: Chaffinch  (Read 5158 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Chaffinch
« on: June 03, 2005, 12:17:14 »
I am in shock, ive just spotted a male chaffinch in my garden and ive never ever seen one here before.....in fact, ive never seen one in my life.

So i am so excited to see him and so honoured that he is here. :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re: Chaffinch
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 12:27:32 »
Lovely  HB, its so exciting seeing different wildlife, am I more aware these days or are we having more visit our gardens? I can't seem to remember so many different species years ago.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 12:33:06 »
Yes i think you may be right Val, its very encouraging isnt it?  :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 18:53:27 »
Well i managed to spot Mr chaffinch again this afternoon and i also managed to see his wife too  ;D

I spotted him flitting about as i was in the kitchen, so i dashed into the conservatory and watched the pair from there.
Mr chaffinch came and sat on the fence not two feet away from where i was standing by the window so i got a great look at him.

It really has made my day  :)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 19:04:03 »
am really pleased for u honneybee its nice to get different birds in the garden, i have lots of robins and blue tits black birds and trushes but no chaffinch, so u are very lucky

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 19:19:57 »
They are mainly what i get dibber, robins, blue tits, blackbirds, sparrows, wrens, pied wagtail, starlings and a few others, but nothing as exotic looking as the chaffinch.

I think everyone is bored with me at home because i keep making them stand for ages watching to see if they can see him too, and my teenage sons are giving me this sort of look ---> ::)

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 23:30:49 »
Nice one honeybee I get that look all the time from my 2 every time I ask them to look at one of my new flowers!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 00:00:51 »
Oh dear, honeybee and val, you make me feel my age :( - when I was a kid, the chaffinch was the commonest british bird; more chaffinches than any other? :( :( :(

There's an awful lot more disappearing - my 9 year-old heard and saw her very FIRST skylark on Tuesday.

All best - Gavin

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 08:14:44 »
Hey Gavin,  dont be feeling like that....lol

I checked your age and your only seven years older than me, not a great difference. ;)

Now dry your tears  ;D

I never saw a chaffinch even when i was little.  Maybe this is a sign that they are on their way back?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 09:21:26 »
In my opinion - very learned that it it is  :D, chaffinches and goldfinches are on the rise and sparrows and starlings are in decline.  Good info about rise and fall of birds on http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/index.asp.  I also use this site for the great piccies  http://www.birdguides.com/ and notifications of rare sightings - not a twitcher, just a keen birdie.

Gaivn - hope this page puts your mind at rest http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c/chaffinch/index.asp
Chaffinches are on the 'green' list.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 09:43:51 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 14:32:09 »
There are plenty of chaffinches around here, a mile from the centre of Birmingham. I see very few house sparrows though, and while we get plenty of starlings, there are nothing like the winter flocks I used to see before they netted all the buildings in the city centre to keep them off.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 19:18:51 »
 :DNice to see you have chaffinches in your garden Honeybee.  We have masses of them round here but we do have a nature reserve just at the back of the bungalow. 

Do you still feed your birds right now ???  We put out the wild bird mix and they come every day.  Hope you enjoy them for much longer !  ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 20:55:15 »
No i dont feed the birds Marianne because it encourages the mice and i cant garden happily when i know the little critters are scarpering about  :o

But ive got a very full garden with lots of plants, so the birds seem happy enough to feed on the natural stuff, ive always got quite a few different birds forraging around every time i look out of the window. :)

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 12:49:44 »
I think we are seeing different birds in town gardens these days, because they are losing their natural habitat.
I have seen a Jenny Wren in our garden this year, for the first time ever.
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 16:30:39 »
Gavin..what do you mean feel your age? I'm older than you!...maybe they were all around back in the dark ages but I can't remember seeing them...Thats when you need to worry...lad! ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 20:03:51 »
Honeybee

Thought I would show you the Chaffinch again.  This one sat beside me at a coffee shop and ate the remains of my scone.  The Chaffinch is the most common bird in Scotland.  Hope you see loads more.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/lowrieT/IMG_0281.jpg

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 20:45:11 »
Oh thats a fantastic pic Val, thankyou so much for posting it.  Ive just shown my other half so he can use it for reference as he has no idea why i am so excited about this little bird and has no clue what it looks like so with your excellent pic for reference i can now send him out bird spotting.

Thanks Val  :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 22:28:09 »
Err excuse me Honeybee but it was not Val you took the picture!!!   will let you off tho.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 23:48:41 »
I am so sorry Carol, just goes to show the effect that a couple of glasses of wine have on me on a friday night  :-[

Note to self *Dont drink and post * :-X

Carol am i forgiven?
I really did love the pic  :-*

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 00:05:29 »
A good looking chaffinch - bet he did not have much trouble finding a mate.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal