Author Topic: Allotment Help  (Read 3968 times)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
Allotment Help
« on: June 01, 2005, 18:32:10 »
I’ve just taken on my new allotment, which along with six other is on some council ground at the rear of some houses. This land has been used for allotments use for a long period of time, but we only pay a peppercorn rent ( couple of pounds every few years.). We recently asked if the council could replace a main gate which is used for securing the site, and if it was possible to have a water supply, (there’s no supply only a kind hearted neighbour passing a hose over the wall). The council has said that because this land is not classed as an official council run allotment site, they are not really interested in our requests. Is there any this else we could do.

Thanks
David

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: Allotment Help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 23:13:12 »
Sounds like you need to sort out who ownsit. Do you have a tenancy agreement? otherwise, save rainwater, dig a well.

adamreith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 23:29:07 »
If you pay rent to the Council I suppose they own the land.
I suggest (a) find out when they got it, and why ( it will be in their minute books way back).  If they got it just for allotments it is Statutory  allotment land.
(b) form a group - if there is no association on your plots, or it is inactive - and this can be quite informal to start with: the XYZ Allotment Group, for example.  Ask to be represented on any Council discussions.
(c) contact the Allotment Regeneration Initiative (www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari) and find masses of fact sheets and advice. Ask for or find your local mentor, see if  he can advise you on getting funds for improvements, forming working parties etc.
(d) let us know how you get on! We can then have more ideas(!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 08:33:02 »
If it's not an 'official' site how come they're letting out allotments on it? Don't take that for an answer!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal