Author Topic: How do I grow potatoes total newb question  (Read 4591 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: How do I grow potatoes total newb question
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:56 »
Invasion, if your potatoes have grown long white shoots whilst in their bag, it would be better to rub them off before chitting.  When the shoots come through they should be green, like those shown in the pictures below.  I put mine in a light place when chitting but not in direct sun.  Please don't ask me why!  Here are some pictures:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 13:50:05 »
If they're well buried, the frost won't reach them. No way are we going to get the ground frozen deeply now. They'll sit till the ground warms up. If a frost threatens after they emerge, you can cover them. I never bother, I've never had really serious damage, and the root system is unharmed so they grow back really fast.

invasion

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 14:41:21 »
Invasion, if your potatoes have grown long white shoots whilst in their bag, it would be better to rub them off before chitting.  When the shoots come through they should be green, like those shown in the pictures below.  I put mine in a light place when chitting but not in direct sun.  Please don't ask me why!  Here are some pictures:

Thanks for posting those pictures much appreciated. I have picked off some of the roots I hope that was the right thing to do ? as they had then coming out all over. does it matter that you can see White potato where I have picked the root off.

will plant tomorrow I think..as asked earlier can I plant them and bring them in each night to the shed to avoid frost??

I went and got two potato bags to plant in today and some Westlands organic Vegtable growing compost & organic Potato & Vegtable feed are these the right choice ??

And finally my last question I think...well for now  ;D do I keep potatoes from this season from my seed potatoes next ??
Thanks for all of your patience with me asking all these simple questions  ;)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 14:54:20 »
not sure about bringing them in invasion but i'm interested to hear the answer to your question about saving some for next year.......
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 15:38:24 »
I have picked off some of the roots I hope that was the right thing to do ?

I hope you don't mind me pointing it out but what you picked off are not roots! they are the eventual potato tops (haulms) the root will extend from the base of these stems and the tuber (potato) will form on these.

does it matter that you can see White potato where I have picked the root off.

No!

will plant tomorrow I think..as asked earlier can I plant them and bring them in each night to the shed to avoid frost??

You are obviously wanting to get get them planted and as they are 2nd earlies I would wait another three or four weeks yet before planting them.

I don't know where you are from? but I would say to anyone anywhere in the UK wait till at least the end of the month.

I won't plant mine out till the last week in April.

Personally I suggest you let them chit in your shed and that will save all the hassle of moving them, particularly when you think; as they get wet they will become quite heavy and you will also have the possibilty of breaking the newly forming growth

I went and got two potato bags to plant in today and some Westlands organic Vegtable growing compost & organic Potato & Vegtable feed are these the right choice ??

An expensive way to grow potatoes I think I would have got on with digging an area over the next month then planting them out doors.

I hope you don't find my comments patronising but it is coming over loud and clear that you are a bit impatient, and what worries me about that is you might do more damage than good by starting early!

And finally my last question I think...well for now  Grin do I keep potatoes from this season from my seed potatoes next ??

May I suggest you don't!! You are finding difficulty keeping them for a few weeks how do you think you will go on keeping them for six to eight months?

Then there is the potential for disease which if they succumbed you would have to throw them away, or worse still they might infect any others you bought next year............get them eaten.

Then!! and I am guessing here as I have never done this! but growing potatoes in bags is a bit like forcing them so they might not keep, and if they did they might produce a poor crop..................get them eaten is my advice!!

Thanks for all of your patience with me asking all these simple questions

Your Welcome!

invasion

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 17:02:28 »
An expensive way to grow potatoes I think I would have got on with digging an area over the next month then planting them out doors.

I hope you don't find my comments patronising but it is coming over loud and clear that you are a bit impatient, and what worries me about that is you might do more damage than good by starting early!

I really don't see why you would think that I would feel, that you are treating me in a way that suggest I am inferior to yourself. I am new to all of this and I am asking  advice. You sir are kindly fulfilling that request. Because my knowledge on this subject is somewhat lacking it doesn't make me feel inferior in any way shape or form.

Impatient I am not..enthusiastic I am :)
I am more than happy to wait a few more weeks if that is what is best. To be honest I thought I had to get them planted as soon as possible or they would spoil. This is a learning curve like anything else hence the origanal post.

In total I have spent £18
that was four bags of organic compost
seed potatoes
2 grow bags
Organic potato feed

So yes maybe a bit more expensive  but you live and learn !

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 17:16:53 »
Don't have much to add (plenty of good advice above from more experiencer gardeners than me!) except to consider actually getting them in the soil. You say the plot is overgrown, but even if it is VERY bad if you cut the top growth back and put the spuds in they should do okay. As you earth and dig them up weed the area as you go. They often say potatoes are good for 'clearing ground'. This doesn't mean they do the work for you, but the effort you have to put in in earthing up and digging up gives you opportunities for clearing.

We took on a horredous plot see:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_SXMv2XhorB4/R91W36cefBI/AAAAAAAAADI/KbphJlIwpf4/s1600-h/plot_summer_2007.jpg

Part of this (about 1/4 of the plot) we just cut back, pulled out the main obvious bits, turned over and filled with spuds. Got a great crop and we cleared the area properly as we dug up the potatoes.

Don't rule it out. Alot less hassle than growing in containers for watering.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 17:42:12 »
You had a nice crop of bindweed there!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 17:48:49 »
You had a nice crop of bindweed there!