Author Topic: What does your allotment shop sell?  (Read 4014 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
What does your allotment shop sell?
« on: March 07, 2010, 17:21:48 »
I have taken over the running of our allotment shop (I am chairman and my duties are limited).

We sell canes, pots, labels, slug pellets, grow bags, multipurpose compost in 75l bags, and small bags of growmore, lime, FB&B, sulphate of ammonia, potash, seaweed extract liquid, Jeyes liquid, glyphosate and superphosphate.

We also sell plants that are donated by other allotment holders, ie tomatoes, courgettes, strawberries etc.

Seed potatoes are also sold.

I would be pleased to know what SELLS, not necessarily what is sold, in your allotment shop remembering that a fast turnover means bigger bulk buys and more profit.

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What does your allotment shop sell?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 17:29:25 »
You've probably got most of the essentials, but keep your ear to the ground, in case something extra in needed.

The only thing I can think of is rat poison. The Council rat man always leaves a bucket for us, and it gets used over a few months.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 17:54:47 »
Our shop sells Kings seeds at a reduced price, onion, shallots and takes orders for seed potatoes at the end of each year. I don't know where they get the seed potatoes from, but can ask if you want.
It also sells netting, fleece and ground cover and I think maybe looking at getting a large roll of enviromesh/wondermesh - as we are all fed up of crops damaged by carrot fly, leek moth and aphids. The netting etc is bought as a roll and sold per metre.
It also sells all the other things that you mention and is open on Saturday and Sunday 10 -12.
We also have a few mowers that can be hired for £2 per go.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 17:57:16 »

I would be pleased to know what SELLS, not necessarily what is sold, in your allotment shop remembering that a fast turnover means bigger bulk buys and more profit.

It also means VAT which now seems to be a concern for our shop.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 18:06:32 »
there is another allotment in south liverpool that gets great deals on things,wellies for two pound etc,once we have made contact and found out where they get it from,ill pass on the info to you.
rachel(sudley)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 18:10:56 »
I don't know if they would sell, but what I would like to see is green manure seeds in decent quantities.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 19:00:00 »
All the above...Kings seeds....plus....gardening gloves, various netting...loose growmore ect, onions . bulbs dalhias...string...pots & trays ..tools..basically anything we may need...and all at cut price....£2.20 a year to join...the list is endless.....Kings do some great deals for allotment assocciations...as do most tattie suppliers....go on line ...just ask....
Hope that helps....
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 19:04:12 »
Thanks, so far.

We acquired a Kings seed catalogue but not until December but will use it next year.

I have thought about the netting, fleece and weed supressing fabric and am looking up prices.

Rachel, I did not know that A4A had a member so close to me, I shall be interested to hear from you further.

Why Elvis 2003!

Digindeep you seem to have quite a range including many I never thought of.

How big is your site, we have 140 plots.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 19:07:05 by allaboutliverpool »

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 19:10:13 »
im a huge fan,as is my husband,we are off to the arena shortly to see the elvis show currently doing the rounds. We have met actually,you sold me a very nice hotdog at your open day,was going to introduce myself but you were very busy,im pleased to say!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 19:17:50 »
This year, Elvis 2003, you get extra onions!

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 19:29:32 »
Gardening gloves sell well in our allotment shop - from time to time we can get the orange builders gloves (these are washable so very popular) and boxes of vinyl disposable gloves at a very economic price, so we do a 'special offer' at three times mark up of purchase prices (which come out at quite a bit below shop prices) which gets people into our allotment shop so they can see what's available.
Another popular item in May is 'trailing geraniums' - we buy these from a wholesaler for planters at our allotment gates and get extra to sell in our allotment shop - and those we sell more than pay for the ones in planters.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 22:44:04 »
Concentrated chicken manure and concentrated farmyard manure, both in 80l bags.  We sell loads of this as it saves people shovelling tons of fresh manure.  Usually, 2-3 bags last a year and can be stored in the shed. 

Bark chippings 80litre bags
lawn feed & weed
lawn feed & moss killer
lawn seed
Jeyes fluid
Peat free compost
Greenhouse glass clips
7ft wooden stakes
John Innes No 3

We sell loads of other stuff but some is slow to move off the shelves.  All the above are some of our big sellers.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:59 »
All the big bulk items like compost and manures are good sellers in our shop, to keep price down and keep customers coming we order in huge quantities to get best discounts. Our supplier kindly lets us to have our supplier in couple of smaller quatities at the time so that we use their warehouse as storage space for short periods at the time..we could not fit all in one go!
Our new stuff....insectmesh, barrierglue..all the "greener" gardening stuff have started go well too and those are the things that members ask us to get...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:21 »
The most popular items are standard ones - 8ft canes, netting and the stuff you can use for wind breaks (green, builders use it - my brain is disintegrating as I type  ::) ). One thing I know our shop struggles with is getting decent suppliers / prices. The large bags of potting compost go down well, but they never seem to have enough. Maybe that's just poor admin tho?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 20:24:36 »
I don't know if they would sell, but what I would like to see is green manure seeds in decent quantities.
I buy bulk from here.... www.cotsworldseeds.com

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 16:16:54 »
Our shop periodically runs out of bamboo canes, netting and fleece. They must be the best sellers or we have lots of pigeons around ;D

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 16:22:37 »
Chicken feed (layers/mash) and rabbit feed sell very well in our shop.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 17:02:10 »
and the stuff you can use for wind breaks (green, builders use it - my brain is disintegrating as I type  ::) ).

Debris Netting!!! Knew I'd get there eventually  ::)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 18:51:35 »
I have just taken delivery of 5 litres of Glyphosate for £65.00.

It is 360g/l strength which is 2.5 times the strength of ordinary Glyphosate.

It works out at £6.50 for 500ml, the equivalent killing power of B&Q own brand is £28:00.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal