Author Topic: HOW DO YOU SHARPEN SHEARS?  (Read 5874 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: HOW DO YOU SHARPEN SHEARS?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 19:46:19 »
i'll get back to the topic in a minute, kk..the black stuff on the old grate and the shiny pole over the top..we used to fight for who sat either side of the fire  ;D
ray uses a stone for sharpening..carborundum we think  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 19:52:58 »
Gawd, Manic's....don't get me going.....memories are mostly cosy but the reality of it wasn't quite so, eh?
 Here's something for you to look out for before we take over this topic...watch out for a memory jerker thread coming soon..in the mean time, I'm off to take a pic of carborundum stones' to post here.
BRB

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 20:04:14 »
A selection of some of mine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 20:08:25 »
well, Ray's got 1..he's had it for 44 years and it still isn't hollowed  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 20:14:30 »
Nor it should be if evenly used.

Ken - totally agree, except that, with all sharpening, I would wipe the burr off the inside face after dealing with the outer?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 20:29:39 »
Concrete?.........  Ah!....!!

Talking Mill stone, granite and sand-stone here, B. With white stoned edging, no less. Every Monday after the wash went out all the wives competed for the best step in the street. No kidding....just ask Mr Smith from East Lancs.
 (Any way...what are you doing here? You're supposed to be honing your shears!.... :D
          OOOOOOOPS,Just off for a geology lesson while honing me shears.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 20:30:38 »
100% also, Tim. I didn't mention that with shears because that's not an easy procedure. If I tried to explain how without a pic I'd be worried that pressure would be put on the cutting edge. The bur needs to be removed, as I'm sure you know, by a circular movement on a flat plane. Better to let the cutting action remove it for someone who isn't used to doing it.
 (I somehow knew you would catch me on that one... :D )

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 13:13:29 »
I've managed to get hold of an old pair of shears from the local tip this morning. I'll have a go at rescuing them.

Pic SS1 shows the difference between my good pair and these old ones. Someone has attempted to sharpen them on the inside...that's wrong. The damage isn't too bad and they might come good. The steel is a good quality so there is a chance.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 13:17:35 »
SS2 shows the shears clamped in a vice ready to start. Also shows the state of the cutting edge.
SS3: Use a quality file angled against the angle of the bevel and draw the file bottom to top evenly.
SS4: If possible, finish with a stone to reduce the file marks and 'polish' the cutting edge. You will see bright new steel showing through.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 13:18:50 »
SS5 and SS6 shows the new cutting edge.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 13:21:34 »
SS7 and SS8 show the inner side of the blades and evidence of the wrong sharpening.

SS9 Is the cleaning of that inner side and the removal of tiny burrs caused by filing. The shears must be kept dead flat for this procedure.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 13:27:08 »
SS10 shows the inner side. Note there is a point part way up that didn't touch the rubbing surface. That's normal. It's a manufactured bend in the blade which helps with cutting. This part can be lightly rubbed with W&D paper used dry.

SS11 shows that already, these shears, will just a little more attention, have the potential for many years of work.
 Not bad. A good pair of shears for 20 min's work.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 13:40:37 »
Thank you so much Ken for taking so much time and trouble.The pictures show what you have to do very clearly.I will be sharpening mine next week.
I am sure many people will find these pics very helpful. :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 14:37:53 »
but don't use them to cut paper :o

btw to remove the 'burr'...you use the same movement you do after filing your nails - assuming you're a Rachel de Tame-type gardener, that is ;D

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 15:02:40 »
Thank you Mr Ken, for your tips and demonstration. I've ruined many shears through not sharpening them the correct way.  You've shown me that there's still hope. You don't happen to have an angle bench grinder as demonstration purposes do you. I would love to see how it's done using that as well please. Thank you.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 19:24:36 »
As soon as I read your bit, AahRUMmmm! I put a feather in me cap. Mr Ken indeed... :D
 Yes, I have an angle grinder, a bench grinder and a wet-wheel grinder.
 Before we go there, I'd like to know why you would resort to a bench grinder. Are your shears in a pretty bad way? Any chance of a few pic's?
Ken.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 12:30:37 »
Thankyou Mr. Ken I'm about to try the magic sharpening as no shops locally can do it for me. Unfortunately I don't have a clamp but I'm very grateful for the tutorial and I shall give my wilkinson swords my best shot. Its a good day when I learn how to do something new. Many thanks indeed. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal