Author Topic: Allotment DVD - Part 2!  (Read 4297 times)

David R

• Acre
Allotment DVD - Part 2!
« on: May 31, 2005, 13:49:30 »
The presenter fellow is definately loopy (no offence if you read this!) but in a nice way OK. ;D ;D ;D

just watched the 2nd DVD and he was putting human hair around his tomatoes to keep slugs off. I would rather have the slugs. My missus was having convulsions, not sure if they were from disgust or amusement :-\

Does he have a glove fetish or something ?? ;)

mm-b

• Half Acre
Re: Allotment DVD - Part 2!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 17:00:47 »
Hi
I've got this DVD, good isn't it.
The presenter is a right cheapskate. One thing I wouldn't do is cut the glass jars in half and use as cloches, did you see how jagged it was. However I now use plastic 2 lite coke bottles cut in half on my baby plants and it seems to work, Planted 4 pumpkins and 3 got eaten by slugs etc by the time I had drunk a 2 litre bottle. The bottle has been on 2 weeks now and the plant is still healthy.
Its a really good DVD.
My tip is, don't leave it on view if your friends come round, even if they know you have an allotment, they will take the micky big time.
Melanie :)

Emma K

• Not So New ...
    • Losing The Plot
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 17:37:38 »
The lady who got the new plot & works for the health service must have got him a job lot of surgical gloves - either that or he does hand modelling and would need to keep his nails clean - I also have the DVD & my husband is trying to think up the equivalent name to a trainspotter anorac - however the anorac comes in handy on an allotment! :D
I like wine food and gardening...

My allotment blog www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 19:41:15 »
does anyone where them gloves as i dont and well why i like getting muddy and so does my son
matt
 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 20:37:48 »
He uses those gloves as he was handling manure.  I do too  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 21:32:26 »
I wear them when I open hives. Then if I need to do anything that requires delicacy, like handling the queen, I can take them off, and I don't have sticky propolis all over my hands. Otherwise I don't bother with them.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 22:31:47 »
come on...i thought he was eccentric at first-but really-he's an enthusiast-if it wasnt for people like hime we'd never hear about how good it is to have your lotties!
he's ok...and he wears gloves(which is sensible when you think about it.....)because of the infections you can pick up from soil-have you updated your tetanus jab this year? ;)

seen what lockjaws like? :-[ :o
i like the dvd...s'good! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 22:55:24 »
Me too Kitty.  Watched a bit today when ironing (again, yuk) and it was a bit I couldn't remember seeing before.  I like the bit at the end where they sit and eat something off the plot  :)   

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 23:07:59 »
Hi

I have this dvd too, and yes I do believe the guy is slightly excentric. ::)

I do love his enthusiasm, and also i love the way he doesn't do thing the conventional way.  There are no straight lines, and it shows that you can do it on a shoe string :D ;).

Very enjoyable and well worth watching :D :D ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 23:32:31 »
It's really helped me as I'm new to allotments and it shows how you can get stuff in straight away and what can be achieved without digging which is important if you have a bad back (like lots of us)  I really enjoy it and try and watch a bit each day.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 23:40:33 »
My daughter does hair (extensions and stuff) on the side, so we have human hair lying in all sorts of odd places. Ugh! When you think it comes from women who are so poor they have to sell their hair, it's horrible.

Emma K

• Not So New ...
    • Losing The Plot
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 08:06:32 »
It is a good DVD - & gloves are a good idea - I do usually wear them - He obviously is not allergic to latex. I also have gleaned loads of tips from the DVD so it was worth getting :D :D :D
I like wine food and gardening...

My allotment blog www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

annieb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 09:14:25 »
He obviously is not allergic to latex

Two comments... first, most of the time people who have contact dermatitis from latex gloves aren't actually reacting to the latex as to the powder in the gloves which help them slide on more easily (that was the case with me, so I use powder free gloves now, works a treat)... and second.. if you're persistant, you can find latex-free exam gloves.

I'm a medical student.. so I wind up having them lying about anyhow.. but I'm quite sure they can be had from any medical supply outfit relatively cheaply.

Annie in Norway

PS Don't forget your tetanus jab... and do wear gloves! (I hate wearing them.. necessary evil I'm afraid, what with tetanus,  toxoplasmosis, zygomycosis, leptospira etc...

Had a colleague say he'd seen some anecdotal comment about Enterohæmorrahgic E. coli from tangential contact also, but I find that rather suspect... (and by gum, I'm not about to stop using cow poos in the garden... til they pry my fork out of my fist!)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 15:54:11 »
lol!
is 'by gum' an old norwegian expression then?lol! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

annieb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 17:05:45 »
lol!
is 'by gum' an old norwegian expression then?lol! ;D

Tee hee Kitty =) I always heard my gran say that... she was inimitable, and no mistake =)  I'm very new 'round here *points at post count*... but I'm actually not Norwegian.. I'm English, born in Sussex, raised near London.  I just married the 'Husbandguy' who's Norwegian, and moved here to the frozen northlands =) 

We met online actually! Geeky but true.  The climate here reminds me a great deal of the southeast England honestly.. pretty rare to get a good solid freeze or much snow in Bergen (we're on the southwest coast of Norway.. right on the Gulf Stream)...  We get more than our fair share of rain rain rain rain though... Norwegian has over 100 words for various kinds of nasty precipitation (not joking)...  Slushy rain, sleety rain, cold-nasty-drip-down-your-glasses-and-into-your-shirt-rain, snowy rain, rainy snow, plain slush, icy slush.. etc...

Annie in Norway

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 22:03:16 »
Oh now youve done it Annie,

I had to work in Oslo for a couple of weeks in january and LOVED it.  We went back for a short break and we both LOVED it, in fact we even discussed living there but thought gardening must be impossible - it was -17 when we were there.

Now I'm thinking again!
Best laid plans and all that

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 22:17:47 »
People keep bees up there so it must be possible to garden!

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 15:37:51 »
Could someone let me know what the DVD is called and where I can pick it up from thanks in advance.

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 15:46:49 »
http://www.allotment.info/

Called "The Allotment".  Great fun, but his voice drives me loopy!!!
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 15:51:59 »
Cheers buying it now.

anything