Author Topic: best beadmaker??????  (Read 10355 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: best beadmaker??????
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 16:13:12 »
Thanks, Doris, I've added that to my wish list (can't be too greedy in one day).  I'm hoping there's a recipe for walnut bread - I adore it.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 21:14:55 »
Breadmaker arrived - second loaf now cooling on the wire rack - tis tasty and fun!

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 22:15:53 »
Got one ready to be cooked for 7am for school lunches ;D  Made pitta bread yesterday, has to be the best pitta ever!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 18:51:27 »
Pitta bread?  Yummy.  It's on my list to try but I'm starting with the basics first.  Someone recommended Dove Farm organic flour to me and it seems very good.  I'd be interested in what others use.

G xx

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 19:55:32 »
I have a Morphy Richards.  I first bought it over 2 years ago.  The paddels jammed within the 2 year warrenty and they sent me a new pan.  When the new pan arrived, the machine itself was damaged because of the jammed paddels.   So they sent me a brand new model, which so far is great.  I find that I have to wash and clean the pan out straight away so that the paddels don't dry out and get jammed - wouldn't want that to happen when it's on the timer during the night.

Today, I've just made a sweet bread with dried fruit and fresh Nutmeg and just had a slice with butter.  Yum, I could really taste the Nutmeg.

I love to make the dough for Granery Bread cakes, which I then bake in the oven.  I think home made bread taste much better than bought bread.

I find that reducing the amount of salt and sugar doesn't affect the rising of the dough or bread.

Happy bread making.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 20:13:03 »
Lily, I'm interested in the comments you make about reducing the sugar and salt content.  I have to say that I was a little alarmed that both loaves I've baked so far have called for a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar.  How much can I reduce that by without affecting the rising of the bread?

G xx

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2005, 20:39:08 »
Hi G.

You will be alarmed to find that the original recipe (Bread maker) called for 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 and 1/2 tsp of salt for my dough (for the breadcakes).  I have reduced this to 1 tbps of sugar and 1 tsp of salt.  I can taste the difference in less sugar and salt and feel that reducing it anymore would make the breadcakes completely tasteless.

I'm sure that the sugar and salt have an affect on the yeast, but not too sure in what way.  Have a try at reducing the sugar and salt a qtr/ half a tsp at a time to see what happens.  Try this site, it gives a reason why you should'nt use sugar when you use their flour.  I've not tried it myself as I haven't used their flour.

http://www.clarksflour.sagenet.co.uk//faq.htm
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 20:45:27 »
Hmmmm interesting.  This is a whole new science to me!

G xx

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 22:52:25 »
The book link  I gave on this thread, has great recipes, not many of them have any sugar in at all.
 I am using them over the manual that came with my machine because they seem to use less sugar, salt  oil and hardly any have milk powder in.

Made the white loaf again today, and it is just perfect, just like I remember as a kid ;D  Crunchy on the outside and all lovely in the middle! The foccacia yesterday was fab too, I can feel the inches appearing on my thighs :-\

Georgie, I use Dove organic too, or whichever organic flour is available at the health food shop.

Found this via an article the other day, looks very interesting :)
http://www.flourbin.com/index.html   Anyone tried them?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 16:09:16 »
Bit late to this thread but here goes...
We're got the Panasonic 253 as well. Got it last year as a wedding pressie and took it on honeymoon with us to Cornwall!  Had great fun -  more or less lived on pate, local cheese and warm bread!

We've only really had three disasters - one was last night when I decided to shove a tablespoon of wasabi powder into the flour. Didn't rise much! Prob because I didn't add extra water to compensate... oops.

Georgie - don't worry too much about the salt etc. There was a hoohah a few months ago about the amount of salt in shop bread - I calculated how much was in each slice of the SD253 standard white and it was about 1/5 of the Hovis quoted in the articles.  Having said that, we make sure we use unsalted butter in the recipes so there's less because of that.

Oddly enough, my favourite is also the multi-seed. Though you can tip a tablespoon of poppy seed into just about any of the recipes.  And we find that rapid white gives a better loaf than the 4 hour white!

A nice trick if you like spicy foods is to put a tablespoon of green or red Thai curry paste into the mix and subtract some of the butter to compensate. Tangy! Makes the bread a nice colour too (well it does if it's the red!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 20:34:50 »
That's really helpful, thanks Moonbells.  I'm interested in experimenting once I've got the hang of it.  I was disappointed that the Panasonic recipe booklet does not give one for walnut bread which I love.   Could I just use the one for say, anchovy and sun dried tomato loaf and replace these two ingredients with and equivilent weight of chopped walnuts?

I will get the book, Doris, in due course.  In the meantime have you any thoughts on making walnut bread?

G xx

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2005, 22:49:22 »
That's really helpful, thanks Moonbells.  I'm interested in experimenting once I've got the hang of it.  I was disappointed that the Panasonic recipe booklet does not give one for walnut bread which I love.   Could I just use the one for say, anchovy and sun dried tomato loaf and replace these two ingredients with and equivilent weight of chopped walnuts?

I will get the book, Doris, in due course.  In the meantime have you any thoughts on making walnut bread?

G xx

Yes. Did two loaves of it last week for Sir (I can't eat walnuts without being ill). Get some chopped walnuts and fill the hopper to the top. It's about the right amount! The do the mix for the walnut and apricot bread which is on the bake raisin program. Worked well.

Another tip - if you haven't got a digital kitchen scale, I can recommend them. Not only are they accurate, you can stick the bucket on them, zero and just keep adding ingredients, zeroing when needed. And 1g of water is 1ml so 350ml is 350g etc. So you don't need to faff with the water jug!

Last tip - if you haven't got them already get some 1/4 1/2 1tsp and 1 tablespoon measuring spoons. They're heaps easier than the plastic job that comes with the machine and really not very dear.  I don't know how I managed without them for so long.

mmmm red curry bread tomorrow for sandwiches mmmm

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 11:16:05 »
Georgie I shall dig out the recipe from the book  and post it, think if I remember correctly it uses walnut oil too. I haven't tried it yet though, so you can give it a go and let me know! ;D
All sounds yum Moonbells! :) Will give the rapid white a go!

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:08 »
I am the proud owner of a new breadmaker bought yesterday afternoon ;D does all sorts so it says anyway( morphy richards one ) looking forward to trying out some of the recipes on here defo looking for ones without sugar or salt or options on these( fella is diabetic ) lets hope my first efforts dont turn out like bricks  ::) ;)

Ann-Marie
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 18:32:19 »
Georgie, Walnut Bread from Fresh bread in the morning from your bread machine by Annette Yates   ISBN 0-7160-2154-4

1 1/4 tsp Easybake yeast
250g/9oz Strong white bread flour
250g/9oz strong wholemeal flour
1 tsp fine sea salt
350ml/12floz water
1 tbsp walnut oil
1 tbspn honey (use one with a good pronounced flavour)
115g/4oz broken walnuts

Put all the ingredients except the walnuts into the bread pan in the correct order for your machine.

Fit pan into machine and close lid. (if using the panasonic with dispenser put walnuts into nut container!)

Select the basic wholewheat raisin setting, medium crust and the appropriate size. (X Large for panasonic)
Press start. With other machines when the machine idicates, put in walnuts.

When machine has finished remove from tin and allow to cool completely.

Georgie, let me know what it tastes like, because I haven't tried this one yet! ;D  Nice looking chilli bread on the opposite page, hmmmmmmmm

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 18:37:10 »
Hiya Flower! :)    This is from the same book as above, does have salt in it though, best loaf of bread I have made yet!

1 tsp easybake yeast
500g/1lb 2oz strong white bread flour
1 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
350ml/12floz water

Put the ingredients into the bread pan in the order for your machine

Select basic white setting, medium crust and appropriate size. (large on panasonic) Press start.

When finished lift bread out and cool on a wire rack.

Now try and keep your hands off it until cool, bet you eat loads!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

Now you all have to go out and buy the book!

DP

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 21:34:47 »
You are both so kind to go to all this trouble, thank you so much.  I've got a rather busy weekend coming up but I promise to get the necessary ingredients asap and post the results when I can.

G xx

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2005, 13:57:08 »
I treated myself to the Anthony Worrall Thomspon breadmaker yesterday.

I very nearly bought the panasonic but as they only do it in white it wouldnt match in the kitchen which has all silver appliances, so after some research, it appears that reviews for the AWT are as good as those for the panasonic, and i have to say, so far, so good, ive made three different loaves so far and I have one very happy family  ;D

I am now on the hunt for lots of recipes  :P

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2005, 21:53:36 »
Blimey, have you seen the price of good walnut oil?  Anyway, I've now got all the ingredients for the walnut bread so I will have a go later in the week and report back.

G xx

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2005, 22:38:48 »
Waiting with bated breath! Better than bated bread!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal