Author Topic: The difference of using cow muck  (Read 4191 times)

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
Re: The difference of using cow muck
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 03:37:17 »
Richard
            The difference in growth rate is quite apparent but I would be loathe to use any kind of manure given what is fed and injected into to the animals that produce it.

Growth hormones, anti-biotics and steroids are extensively used to treat animals, all of which contaminate the manure.

No amount of rotting down will remove them from the manure, they will be passed on to the crops that are grown using it.

My fertiliser is an mix of Comfrey and Nettles, it stinks to high heaven but at least it is not polluted.

I felt that I had to put forward a case against manure so that those reading this post are made aware of the possible dangers of using it.

No slight intended just a different point of view.

PREMTAL ::)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 11:43:43 »
Premtal,

I don't think I can agree with you.

I believe the Soil Association allows organically certified growers to use animal manures from non organic sources provided that they have been rotted for 6 months

A more dangerous aspect of horse muck(when fresh) is that you can catch tetanus from it. I agree the liquid feeds are good and I use them but they do not provide humus

Phil

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 20:17:02 »
I find myself agreeing with Premtal and Phil...

Although there's no hard proof, I don't like the thought of the drugs they pump into factory animals getting into my (vegetable) food supply either (if I can help it). So I'm ditching animal manures after this season.

But we organic types are meant to feed the soil not the plant. So comfrey/nettle brews are good but not the whole answer. Which explains why good compost is the key to the whole thing. But doesn't explain where to get enough raw material from...

I've been reading a book recently which suggests the appropriate mammallian waste is...well ...look in the mirror... (!!)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 20:48:35 »
You may well be right; the Chinese have maintained their soil on 'night soil' for 6000 years while so many other regions have ruined theirs.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 21:16:41 »
I find myself agreeing with Premtal and Phil...but not Max...

What about all the chemicals we pump/inject/ inhale into our own bodies, surely that would follow through to the plant ???

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 21:44:27 »
Know what you mean Roy B, but at least we know pretty much what chemicals they are and can avoid what we don't think is such a good idea... for us or our food (which is the same thing, I guess).

Who knows what they really feed to livestock?
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 01:44:42 »
Well what we put into our bodies has to come out somewhere so be it animal or human organic is best

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 02:37:40 »
Phil,
       I do not doubt that the Soil Association allows the use of animal manures, but all that is allowed is not necessarily safe for human consumption!

I sometimes wonder how the soil and plants survived before the human race took a hand in things.

Sadly we must agree to disagree on the use of manure.

PREMTAL

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 03:18:57 »
Hi Terrace Max,
                         Hard proof is something you will never get, the major pharmaceuticals control the studies that are published.

Very few if any truly independent organisations have the finance to conduct and publish their findings.

There was one rerport back in the late 70's which stated that every person in the UK would test positive for DDT, and I think that organisation had their funding withdrawn.

As I said it my reply to Phil, I sometimes wonder how the soil and plants have survived without mankind's help.

PREMTAL ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 09:16:02 »
Given that eskimos were testing positive for the stuff, I think that would be inevitable!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2005, 11:49:29 »
Hello Premtal

I'm sure what you say about research funding is correct.

I reckon allotmenting offers the best possibility to stop a lot of the carcinogens and mutagens getting into our food and therefore our own tissues. Hence my decision to avoid animal manures in future.
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 08:43:55 »
...... I sometimes wonder how the soil and plants have survived without mankind's help.

[\quote]

As far as vegetables go, it produced the wild versions of the current  cultivars - the ones we usually regard as weeds!!

In the intensive way we grow on allotments there will always be a way to add to the soils nutrients and humus

Phil 

PS the research done by the SA is definitely not funded by the agrochemical industry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal