Author Topic: NOT HAPPY  (Read 4202 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
NOT HAPPY
« on: May 17, 2005, 14:16:25 »
 >:(
there is an 8 plot allotment across from our house, we had a nosy a few weeks ago and 2/3 seemed unused, so i phoned bassetlaw council to see if we could get one, she said that some were split into two, so more than 8 there, but they were all being used, she put us on the waiting list. spoke to a gentleman on there today and he said that one guy still had potatoes in from last year! one guy has 5 plots!! so i phoned the council back and said this, she said she would find out if the first fellow was giving his up, i asked if we could have it if he did, she said that a fellow who already had a plot was on the list before us!!! i asked if it was fair that there was people having more than one plot when we didnt have any and she said that they dont restrict the amount that one person has, i said 'surely allotments are for domestic use and surely no-one can eat all that is being grown on 5 plots, (rule of not allowing plots to be used for growing and then selling stuff) but she still said they could have as many plots as they want. surely this isnt fair ???

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: NOT HAPPY
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 14:43:43 »
:( Hi littlegem, Have to agree with you on that one. That is totally unfair. >:( I think that because more of us want to grow are own, so that we know what we are eating, it should be limited to one plot for a family of 4 & 2 plots if over 4 BUT you have to actively grow in the 1st 2 yrs or off THE LOTTIE. >:( Ahhhh if only life were so easy :) :) :) It's a shame your council don't take more of an interest in what is actually going on.  I have found in the past you can some times kick them into action by bombarding them with mail, email or snail mail as all councils have to log & respond to the written word :) :)  ;D ;D I know it can be inconvenient but you can have a secret smile of satisfaction that you are making them do something at least however small that they don't really want to do ;D ;D ;D. Well that my personal opinion :D ;D ;D Good Luck!!!!!!
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 16:12:24 »
Try putting your name down for the next 5 allotments and see what they say! Also ask them what the policy is about leaving plots untended and have they ever ejected anyone for not using their plot.

Pah....bl##dy councils  >:(
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:58:42 »
It drives you mad doesn't it that councils are so blase about their plots and don't give a jot if they are tended or not just so long as they are collecting rent. We were looking over some unused ones yesterday which we think a voluntary group has taken on and paid rent on just to get some funding - not for the plot though!  They worked one day on it and dug an enormous hole.  Then went and never returned.  The Allotment Society has done stuff all about it.  My mate checked and the rent is paid.  We are thinking of just nicking it!  Why not?  At least it would get looked after.

If you think the council are fobbing you off and you know there is a plot available you should go after it and chase them up.  If you can prove there's no-one tending it then they should let you have it.  Stir em up LG!
I came, I saw, I composted

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:35:15 »
wardy - I can prove that there is a plot not being used, BUT there's a guy already having a plot that is on the waiting list before me, so he'll just get it anyway!!!!! Its prob the guy who has five plots but the council doesnt know that!!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 09:40:05 »
Little Gem   Don't give up on it!  If you keep your eye on it that bloke before you on the list might not get that one.  Hope not, and you get it.  I'd be at the Town Hall asking the Clerk if it's the same bloke who has 5 already.  If so, you have a case even if he is on the list before you.  You'll probably have to be hard nosed about it to get them to listen.  Good luck  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 14:07:51 »
When someone has paid their subs for the lottie all a committe can do is send a letter to ask them to clean it.
If you find out who has the 5 lotties and ask him if you can rent one off him untill you get one he might be more than willing to let you work one until you get your own.
You never know he might have had  an illness or accident and cannot work the lottie.
Give it a go nothing ventured nothing gained.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 13:52:26 »
Write to the council concerned stating that you wish to be added to the waiting list. Ask them how many plots are on the site, how many tenants are responsible for these plots and how often plots become available.
With the introduction of the Freedom to Information Act, which came into being earlier this year, the council are required to give you the answers to your questions within a certain timescale, so they do have to reply to you.
Obviously, they cannot give you any personal details about the plotholders, but you will bring it to the council's  attention that perhaps something should be done about the allocation of any plots not being used to their full potential.
Granny is still your best friend !

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 17:38:41 »
It's soooo frustrating isn't it?  All these empty neglected plots and a waiting list a mile long.  The council usually are completely apathetic which makes you even more cross.  Grrrrr  >:(

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 13:32:30 »
I've just got my first lottie, and both lotties next to mine are very overgrown and not being used.  When I mentioned it to the council, they informed me that each year they do an audit of the site and write to all the owners whose sites are overgrown and give them so many days in which to get the site cleaned up.  Not sure what happens then, although they are in breach of their agreement if they don't keep their lottie tidy so not sure if they council take the lottie back. 

Is there anyway you could see a copy of the Agreement for the site and see if there is such a 'clean up' clause?  Our agreement states that not only must the lottie be "clean of and clear of weeds" but "shall properly and fully cultivate the land".  If you could show that this is not happening, I would write to your local councillor, MP etc and kick up a bit of a stink - this often works with our council as they seem to jump when councillors get involved.  Maybe worth a try?  Best of luck.

PS:  Also vaguely remember something about allotments being allocated on how many family members you have (ie how many you have to feed) - know this is probably an old rule that is out of date.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 13:34:17 by Piglottie »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 08:55:50 »
Round here, you get thirty days to improve cultivation or come up with a reasonable excuse, and if there's no response you then get thirty days to quit. The procedure is used at the discretion of the site committee, which works well if they're decent people but can become a tool for harassing people they don't like while they have strings of derelict plots for themselves. Believe me, I've seen it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal