Author Topic: Sweetcorn question  (Read 15773 times)

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
Sweetcorn question
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:07:50 »

Hi all

Never grown sweetcorn before......well actually I've never grown much in the way of veg AT ALL before this year !  ::)

I started my sweetcorn off last Thursday in a heated windowsill propogator.
I've read that they don't like their roots disturbed, so I planted them in loo roll tubes cut in half and filled with compost.

Packet said 6-10 days, but this morning they are up, some of them an inch high.
I've transferred them into a plastic tray now, but what worries me is some of the roots are sticking out by 2-3 inches already - they are clearly going to grow into one another and my whole strategy is ruined  :o Is a half loo roll too shallow ?

Any ideas anybody ?
Mike
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sweetcorn question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:47:23 »
I would say that half a loo rool was to little.  From experience corn has always germinated rather quickly for me.  And indoor they grow rather quickly.  I usually start mine in the largest root trainer.

Also, you might have started them a bit too soon... ?!? I always start mine the first week in May....

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:52:46 »
End April is soon enough for sowing. Start them off in paper-pots about bean tin size.
All may not be lost with the ones you have at the moment. Re-pot each plant into a paperpot along with it's loo roll and move into a cooler place to slow it down a little.

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 13:26:10 »

Seed companies don't exactly help newbies do they ?
Packet says sow indoors in April or May or outdoors in May.
To avoid a glut with them all ripening at once I started some off last week, and some more this morning (but used the whole loo roll this time).

I have another variety that says sow in May in a propogator !!

I suppose I've started my runner beans and marrows too early now too...... >:(

Thanks for your advice - I had come to the same conclusion of popping my seedlings straight into another pot as they are. I don't have any paper pots though - only ever heard of peat ones. Trying to do self sufficiency on a tight budget - hence the loo rolls.

Mike

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 13:52:00 »

I don't have any paper pots though - only ever heard of peat ones. Trying to do self sufficiency on a tight budget - hence the loo rolls.

Mike

see kenkew's excellent paper pot making tutorial here:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,8351.0.html

I was making pots yesterday from the Daily Mail (well, it's got to be useful for something I suppose) using a strong cardboard tube that posters come in as a guide.  They're a smaller diameter than baked bean tin ones, slightly bigger than loo rolls, so hopefully ideal for sweetcorn.
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 14:28:02 »
Allotmentchooks, you are not the only one to have started them off early - Mine have been in for over a month   :-\ Leaving the next batch until later this month though - we shall see which ones turn out best!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 15:21:34 »
Ta for all the info!  Me too - mine germinated overnight and were about an inch high before I looked at them.  I'll get on and repot them  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 15:52:46 »
ours are in the ground under pop bottle cloches...

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 16:24:56 »
Mine are still in the packet  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 16:38:50 »

Better than still in the packet at the garden centre I suppose  ::)
Mike

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 16:56:14 »
Sowed mine -in loo roll inners- yesterday and they're not up yet >:( >:(

Seriously, on the packet it said indoors in April and it's mid-April.

Last year I did them in the greenhouse and they rotted, so this year they're inside, might even go in the airing cupboard tonight.

Jeremy

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 17:20:51 »
The secret to germinating SweetCorn kernels is not to plant too deep, just on/under the surface. Check out May edition of Kitchen Garden magazine, there is a reader tip about them.  Also brilliant idea to germinate seedlings in old plastic guttering and then sliding the lot into a prepared furrow....Brilliant idea!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 17:31:17 »
But how do you get the guttering (filled with seeds) in the back of a mini to take to the lotty?  Beats me  ???
Get with the beat Baggy

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 19:28:37 »
Now is a great time to sow sweetcorn in the greenhouse so long as you can keep them warm. Mine went in this morning and they'll be going out under cloches in about 3 or 4 weeks time

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 07:56:29 »
Mine went in last Sunday...now the plans are being put into place to make sure I get my fair share this year.

The war of attrition against Mr Badger has commenced... the barracades will be errected  ;)  I am considering watch towers and searchlights...all depends on costs  ;)  ;D

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 09:36:30 »
I've never sown or grown sweetcorn so I hope folks keep posting on their progress.  I have sown mine in my heated propagator.  They germinated dead quick and now they are tall and leggy but I'm keeping them indoors as it cold out  :)

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 10:28:34 »
Well so much for hoovering and polishing - looks like i'll be making paper pots for the rest of the morning!!

I'm having the same problem with my sweetcorn, all looks well on the surface - they've been sat on my windowsill for 10 days and are about 1" tall but when I picked one of the peat pots up earlier the roots are about 6" long. I was in a panic, having read they don't like their roots disturbed so I'll try the paper pot idea. Can't beat a bit of folding and sticking - more fun than cleaning any day :). See if i'm still saying that when i'm surrounded by scraps of paper and yards of sweetcorn roots....

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 10:30:12 »
Wardy,

I use a propogator after a couple of seasons when they failed to germinate in very light compost in an unheated greenhouse.

I'm in NW Hampshire and don't sow until the end of April and they rapidly germinate, spend a couple of weeks in the greenhouse, one week in the frame and them the allotment with plastic bottle cloches for a day or 2.

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 17:55:42 »
Thanks Phil

If I've been a bit premature I've got plenty of seed left.  The roots are dead long aren't they.  I have one seed which doesn't look to have germinated but I lifted the pot up to feel the weight as it looked dry and there was really long rootlet sticking out the bottom of the pot.  I've sowed them in the paper pots  :)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 22:48:11 »
Dont forget, come planting out do not plant in rows. Instead plant in blocks as corn relies on air pollination. By planting in blocks you will get fuller ears of corn and a better crop.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal