Author Topic: vinegar  (Read 4711 times)

ACE

• Hectare
vinegar
« on: January 05, 2015, 17:01:00 »
Has anybody ever used it for cleaning or is it just one of those things that are talked about but never used. Too wet to get on the ground for digging so an early spring clean is in order.

A major cleaning problem in our house is the chandeliers. I don't want to do a Del Boy job on them but they are very tedious to dismantle and clean bit by bit. I wondered if I laid  a tarp on the floor beneath them and sprayed them with a warm vinegar/water mix  it would work. Taping up the lightbulb sockets, naturally. Ours are mainly cheap cut glass with a bit of real crystal thrown in for a bit of sparkle. All these modern cleaning sprays seem to evaporate too quickly and will leave streaks. I am hoping water and vinegar will run off and dry clear.

Nora42

• Acre
Re: vinegar
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 17:22:22 »
I use it to clean the windows and mirrors on a regular basis - cheap and efficient you may need to buff it with a lint free cloth but I use newspaper on my windows so it may work on your chandelier.
Nora 
Norf London

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 17:31:59 »
I use it for cleaning pots, pans and glassware when they get a bit of limescale.  Works a treat and cheaper than cilit bang or whatever.  My mum used to clean the windows with it and a mate swears by it for cleaning your windscreen.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 17:47:19 »
I use vinegar as a surface spray. Half water, half cheap white vinegar, and a couple of drops of lavender oil. It seems to work, as we haven't died of food poisoning yet... ;)

I use the spray on windows too with newspaper as a cloth, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with chandeliers.

Also apple cider vinegar is fantastic as a hair conditioner! I wash first with bicarb (1tbsp in 250ml warm water), rinse, then final rinse with vinegar (1tbsp in 250ml of cool water, with a drop of essential oil just to smell nice). Needs a little bit of experimentation to get the amounts right for your hair, but I'd never go back to shampoo and conditioner now.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 20:24:33 »
When I was a child it was my job to clean my mums chandelier. We had to do chores in our house when we were kids and I was sent up on the step ladder and had to unclip each crystal piece. I would then sit at the table with a bowl of soapy water(washing up liquid did the best job) and wash polish each piece. Never did the spray and wash thing so I don't know but I think it might leave water marks. Let me know if it works.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 22:00:24 »
I use cheap white vinegar for cleaning anything that gets limescale so sink, basins, taps, shower heads but I also use it for cleaig windows.   We have tiled floors downstairs which I normally steam clea or mop with plai water but once a month or so I do them with vinegar and a drop of washing up liquid.

Our chandelier is brass with just a bit of glass so can't help there but I suspect adding a bit of dishwasher rinse aid to your spray would help with any streaking.
Obxx - Vendée France

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:02:55 »
Vinegar can clean thousands of things,  I use it week in week out

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:52:36 »
I use vinegar for various things too...to clean stove's glass window...clean kettle/dishwasher/washing machine...as a fabric and wool 'conditioner'..oh, and for cooking too :icon_thumleft:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 10:48:37 »
Lots of vinegar here really - white wine, red wine, sherry, cider, Pineau, rice wine, garlic, juniper, tarragon, raspberry, walnut, blackcurrant, balsamic, white balsamic........... for cooking and salads and white vinegar for cleaning.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:05:05 »
I think I will just use it for the pickled onions. Didn't work as expected so they are stripped down for a good hand wash. Should have known really there ain't no shortcuts for doing the job properly. Up and down the steps were murder on my poor old pins but it's halfway done now so an hours rest washing some paintwork with a modern spray that does not leave the house smelling like a bag of chips. Cif rules the day as we don't use silly bang, I cannot stand the tw@t that advertises it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 12:07:18 »
The spring clean is still work in progress. But although my usual Friday cleaning tasks would not pass the white glove test, It is nothing to what the supposed clean kitchen is like. The Mucky Moo who is supposed to keep the kitchen clean only does the bit you can see.

Now my cleaning of the rest of the house once a week might consist of a quick hover, then put it on blow to clear the dust and a liberal spray of polish in the air to give it that just been cleaned ambience. But once a month it is done properly.

She has a cupboard full of sprays for ovens, sinks, windows, worktops plus a steam cleaner. But it seems as if a quick wipe with a damp rag is all its been getting. I volunteered to spring clean the kitchen while she was at work and I am working up a sweat washing everything down to get rid of the hidden grease. It will serve her right if I get the randy widow from down the road to give me a hand.

I wondered why she told me to leave it, she would do it at the weekend, but being short of brownie points lately I thought I would surprise her.

Another thing is the cupboards look as if they are stocked with basics all lined along the front. But behind that are all sorts of goodies spirited away out of sight. She must be pigging away when I am not looking. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:06 »
I did a bit of a spring clean on Tuesday after I'd taken down the Xmas decs.   Turned out to be a double edged sword as I pulled out the dishwasher and washing machine to clean behind them too.  Managed to dislodge the pipe on the washing machine so flooded the floor on its next cycle and now the d**n thing has thrown a wobbly and won't spin.   Humph.

Not going to risk pulling out the cooker this week.

Onwards and upwards I decided to clean out the glasses cupboards and wash them all - water, wine, shot and dessert glasses OK but OH has 6 square feet of assorted beer glasses, most of which he never uses - every Belgian beer has its own glass so just a select few chez nous.  Does he need them all?  Apparently yes.   

Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 17:54:03 »
Love the Belgian beers with their own glasses. Sounds like he has a good collection.
Hope you get your washer sorted.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 18:23:51 »
OK but OH has 6 square feet of assorted beer glasses, most of which he never uses - every Belgian beer has its own glass so just a select few chez nous.  Does he need them all?  Apparently yes. 

:laughing7:

Sometime ago...my OH showed some interest of beer glass colleting....but after he filled one shelf with his 'rammel'....I had to put  my foot down and deny his hording....our cupboards are full enough as it is.. :BangHead:
I just read your post...chuckled and OH asked what is so funny. I read your glass 'issue' for him...and he said...'tell her not deny the master'..  :happy7: So there you are....you have been instructed our 'master' of the house... :tongue3:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 23:00:32 »
We go to ballroom and salsa classes.  Both teachers tell the men they have to lead their partner and, since it's the only occasion in their lives when they are really master of their lady, to take advantage and do it well.   So, for 2 hours a week and a bit more if we go to a dance, he's allowed to think he's master of our destiny.       
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 09:51:28 »
So, for 2 hours a week and a bit more if we go to a dance, he's allowed to think he's master of our destiny.

:icon_cheers: Oh, that is plenty to keep 'them' happy... :tongue3:     

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 14:31:20 »
I admit that for greasy things I use powdered detergent, which is probably soda cristals in the UK. This is great for cleaning surfaces in the kitchen, as it cuts the grease straight off. I use vinegar diluted for glass and mirrors and to descale kettles, coffeemakers, and the tiles in the bathroom, as well as taps. For taps and surroundings, I wrap them in kitchen paper and then soak it in vinegar. Leave for about an hour, they are lovely after that.
I also use vinegar for the laundry - for sweaty clothes, I soak them in some vinegary water for a bit before washing.
Bicarb is excellent for getting stains off the sink, and for cleaning decanters or coffeepots.

Not too long ago 'someone' burnt food into one of the saucepans. I put in water just to the level of the burn and a tablespoon of dishwasher powder and left overnight. A quick scour and it all came off lovely (wear gloves though and cover the saucepan as a safety precaution).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal