Author Topic: Breadmaker  (Read 3516 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Breadmaker
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:23 »
I'm going to buy a breadmaker. Has anyone got any recommendations please?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Breadmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:09:19 »
The consensus is that Panasonic breadmakers are the best, which I'm sure they are.  But we got excellent service from a Morphy Richards breadmaker at a much lower price.  It's now doing sterling service in my daughter's kitchen.  If you only want simple programmes, and/or are on a budget, the Morphy Richards range work just fine.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 15:12:32 »
We purchased this one 2 years ago and it is great.  Does everything you would want. Note the 5 star rating from 604 reviews!  Cant ask for better than that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SD255-Breadmaker-Raisin-Dispenser/dp/B000QUYW62
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 15:45:03 »
I would suggest avoiding the nut and raison dispensers unless you feel that you must have one. Tend to go wrong if the machine is used regularly.
Panasonic are good, still only last 5-6 years with almost daily use ( ps I expect things to last a long time!!)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 17:10:40 »

I've got a Panasonic SD2501.  It's very easy to use and the bread is lovely.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03:20 »
Thank you for your helpful comments. I'll see if anyone has any special offers on at the moment.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 16:57:28 »
It might be worth your while putting a 'Want' ad on your local Freecycle website. There are often bread makers to be had where I live (Torbay).

Tricia

nephilim

• Not So New ...
    • Dads Man Cave
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 17:02:32 »
I use this one Breadmaker by Shef. It was a gift and I use it for everything but physically baking the bread, simply for the fact I like to form the dough once its been kneeded. Make rolls, loafs and all sorts once its done the kneeding for me :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 14:23:26 »
I admit that I tried both Kenwood and Moulinex ones over the years but the one I have now is the best! I bought it at Lidl! It was not very expensive, about 35 euros I think but I like the timing on the cycles which gives good results. It preheats itself to tepid which I think makes the rise better. I have had it for a couple of years and it has been very reliable even though it is much cheaper than the more expensive brands.
That is my two cents' worth anyway!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 15:58:56 »
We've had a couple of doorstop makers, Built a dry stone wall with a bunch of rolls as well. But if they do work well you will soon pile the pounds on because you cannot use low fat marg, it has to be butter and spread thick.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 19:48:36 »
Sorry to be a spoiler, but making bread by hand is so quick, cheap and satisfying that I would never buy a bread maker, though I have been over-persuaded to give them as wedding presents.

Just handle the flour, salt, water and yeast, and shove them into pans to rise. Twenty minutes of mixing, a few hours of rising, an hour or so of baking, and you have perfect and very tasty loaves.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:38 »
I need it for kneading because of polymialgia.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:16:27 »
We've had a couple of doorstop makers, Built a dry stone wall with a bunch of rolls as well.

Agree with ACE.  Took mine back to shop to complain.  They were rather miffed when I informed them I wanted to make bread rather than bricks.  Eventually agreed to refund.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 13:12:27 »

Sorry to be a spoiler, but making bread by hand is so quick, cheap and satisfying that I would never buy a bread maker, though I have been over-persuaded to give them as wedding presents.

Just handle the flour, salt, water and yeast, and shove them into pans to rise. Twenty minutes of mixing, a few hours of rising, an hour or so of baking, and you have perfect and very tasty loaves.

I know someone who could do with doing some  kneeding to help with their anger management issues!!    (not on here BTW!!!)

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 13:24:10 »
We've had a couple of doorstop makers, Built a dry stone wall with a bunch of rolls as well. But if they do work well you will soon pile the pounds on because you cannot use low fat marg, it has to be butter and spread thick.

I use olive oil in my breadmaker all the time.

I've got the Panasonic SD2501 and it's a great machine.  Comes with some good recipes too.  Tried the pizza bread and it was lovely.  Didn't last long though - son ate most of it in one day!

My first breadmaker was a Prima I bought from QVC.  It lasted about 3 years until the perspex window fell out an we couldn't get it to stay on again.  Second was a Morphy Richards Fastbake.  Had that for about 5 years until the spindle that turns the paddle broke inside the machine.  Now got the Panasonic SD2501 and I think it is well worth spending that little bit extra for because the quality of the bread really is delicious.

I use el cheapo bread flour from Lidls or Aldi.  Works just fine.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 13:27:51 »
Quick tip.

If you run out of bread flour, just use ordinary plain flour and use the wholemeal programme (on Panasonic machine).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 17:11:03 »
I've got OLD Morphy Richard machine...over 10 years old...and it has been working its 'socks off' over the years without any problems. I bought new pan for it about 7 years ago, other than that, I hope it will serve our needs another few years. I do admit that it doesn't get used anymore as often now that we've cut back with bread.
But still...I would get another one of 'same' if they still do them when time comes for replacement.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 08:45:28 »
Decided to go with the Morphy Richards   -  half price in Argos!   Will let you know how I get on with making bread or doorsteps??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal