Author Topic: Computer going slow  (Read 8428 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Computer going slow
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:44:37 »
It was getting slower and s l o w e r and s  l  o  w  e  r and s   l   o   w      e        r

Finally found the answer.

I had 36 windows and/or  tabs open.  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
Several were sticky ads which had popped hidden in new windows.   But many of them were me, I just tend to open another window/tab and leave the old one.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Computer going slow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:31:43 »
Sometimes at work I can have hundreds of windows and browser sessions open.  I often find an email I was reading weeks ago buried under a mound of remote connections and discarded PDFs!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:58 »
Presume you have a bigger computer and a better caching system.  Perhaps work things do not keep updating themselves  and do not have ads attached.   Some companies are getting clever with windows that are extremely difficult to close.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:47 »
My computer is getting slower by the day,How do I find what is running in the background and how do I delete them and stop them happening again please.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:56:24 »
Start with this:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Than add this:   http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download

Then, if you're still not sure. Go here and take the  'OverDrive' Free scan. It will tell you just about everything you need to know, what's running. What doesn't need to be, and how to fix it.   http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

Good luck! :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

daveylamp993

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:06 »
Thanks for that Nigel,I have Norton security on my computer,if I download the anti virus would it override my Norton security,i will try the other 2 and hope they work ok, I have next to no knowledge about computers so sorry if it seems silly question.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:54 »
I dont know much, but I do know that Norton is rubbish! Scrap it and use a free anti virus. Major Geek has lots of options to compare

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:57:02 »
Thanks for that Nigel,I have Norton security on my computer,if I download the anti virus would it override my Norton security,i will try the other 2 and hope they work ok, I have next to no knowledge about computers so sorry if it seems silly question.

You 'can' use both Daveylamp, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I would suggest downloading the free antivirus program, then going offline, uninstalling Norton completely, then installing the new, free antivirus. It will auto-update when you go back on-line and all will be well. 
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

daveylamp993

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 13:29:20 »
I don't know much, but I do know that Norton is rubbish! Scrap it and use a free anti virus. Major Geek has lots of options to compare

I have used Norton security and have had no problems with it in the last 3 years,as I don't know a lot about computers I find it easy enough to use,i have been told that AVG is a free security system and is very good,Has anyone else used this ? I might give it a go when my subscription runs out if feedback is positive or any other security that is free to use and protects my computer,many thanks.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 16:56:45 »
AVG is very good. I also have WinPatrol which prevents anything from altering your computer without your permission. also use Spybot which stops various other nasties. They all work well together.
Gardening is the great leveller.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 19:36:43 »
I found too many false positives with AVG and with avast.  I use Sophos or Security Essentials from MS - Sophos isn't actually available to the home user unless your company has an agreement to let you use it.  Also got fed up with all the nags to upgrade which just try to make you buy the "pro" version.

Having AV wont do much to stop your PC slowing down - aside from stooping nasties that may interfere with your smooth running.  In fact AV progs all slow you down to a certain extent as they have to read all executable files.  Norton used to be notorious for doing this which is why no one in the industry uses it even though it may well be much better now.  Windows XP is well known for slowing down over the years - Anything more than a couple of years and it becomes sticky.    Windows 7 seems to be better while macs and Linux fare much better.

daveylamp993

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 21:34:46 »
AVG is very good. I also have WinPatrol which prevents anything from altering your computer without your permission. also use Spybot which stops various other nasties. They all work well together.

Thank you for the information I will give these a try when my subscription with Norton expires.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 23:13:13 »
This is an excellent PC cleaner for free

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

First clean may take 10 minutes or so,  likewise the first Registry clear out.  It is not antivirus or anything, just clears away hidden cookies and repairs registry.  This should be used in addition to other stuff and is highly effective at speeding up your PC.  I have never found the need to pay for the upgraded version as yet. :icon_cheers:
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 00:50:11 »
Norton takes over your pc. I use Avast.
Also take all your programs of start up, just put them on when you want to use them. Having stuff like skype  etc running in the background all contributes to it slowing down.
Give it a defrag when you go out one day too.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:23:16 »
I keep getting messages from Norton reporting high memory usage which is very worrying when all I am doing it reading threads  or just typing.  Also means my fan going mental trying too cool it down.  It does not tell me what is using the high usage or how to stop it.   It is a very frustrating message

My Norton is running out so thanks for the info about alternative solutions.

I would really like something which stops the computer shutting down and updating things without warning.  I keep loosing messages.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 06:53:25 »
I have mine on auto defrag every daywhen I am likely to be doing something else (ie lunch or housework).

daveylamp993

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 07:59:07 »
Norton takes over your PC. I use Avast.
Also take all your programs of start up, just put them on when you want to use them. Having stuff like skype  etc running in the background all contributes to it slowing down.
Give it a defrag when you go out one day too.

How do I take all my programs off start up,and re start them when I need them? many thanks

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 08:26:56 »
...Windows XP is well known for slowing down over the years - Anything more than a couple of years and it becomes sticky.

Anything you can do about it? Suffering from this malady myself.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:08 »
Mine is on autodefrag.  I checked that first.  I suppose one of the things that will be slowing it down is the defrag process.  I suppose it might be better to do it manually, but knowing me I would simply keep putting it off.

I seem to get the auto updates on Friday mornings, it is a real pain, and it seems to work slower every time that happens.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 18:41:56 »
I don't really bother with defrag any more esp under Windows 7 but I tend to reimage my work PCs quite a lot.
@Digeroo - you can change your update settings - Start - Control Panel - Windows Update - Change settings.  You can chose just to check but not download or install.
@pg - ccleaner is a decent registry cleaner as linked above and run msconfig (just type in the start button - run..) to deselect some stuff at start up.  That plus defrag and uninstalling crap is a start but there isn't much you can do to really sort it other than back up your docs and reinstall the os.  That does assume you have a disk or restore disk though

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal