Author Topic: White comfry?????  (Read 5208 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
White comfry?????
« on: May 16, 2013, 21:54:40 »
We were dropping daughter & SiL off today after shopping & I spied a plant so went over to take a look. It was white comfry. Will this be a self seeder & will it be a good as 'ordinary' comfry.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: White comfry?????
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 22:22:51 »
Oooh sounds pretty, I've not seen any white flowering ones around here. Pretty sure it will be a self seeder as I think it is only 'Blocking 14' that is sterile.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 22:35:40 »
GranJan - do you mean white flower or white leaves?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 00:05:15 »
White flowers and self seeds like made.  It grows wild round here and the farmers are only to happy for you to go and pull it out. It was known as knit bone in the old days.  Strip the leaves off and chop, then pack tightly into dark jars.  Put into a dark cupboard and forget about it for a 12 month and you should end up with a amber ointment.  Great for grazes and bruises.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 15:41:25 »
Thank you folks.
JayB, that was my thinking. I did read that it's rare in the north west. I wondered if we had some in the flower border I could give it to the chickens just before it goes to seed.

Gavin, yes white flowers. Very pretty, a bird gift I think as it was in the crack of a wall. It's the first time I've seen white. I used to think I was seeing lots of different colours of comfrey but it was actually balsam.

Taurus, would that apply to Bocking comfrey too? We're the only ones on our site who have Bocking :icon_cheers: but we do get lots of self seeders from other plots.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 16:04:51 »
It grows profusely around here.  White, pale blue, dark blue, purple, pink, red and every colour in between.   Every plant seems to be a different colour from its neighbour.  I also thought that Bocking 14 was the only sterile one.

Very pretty but it is a real pest.  Falls into the drainage ditches and increases the risk of flooding or across the road and makes them slippery.   Roots undermine the tarmac and the leaves reduce visibility.

I was going to grow some on lottie until I found quiet back lanes full of comfrey gardens.     

But do be careful with using as a medical plant.  I wrapped some leaves round my OH's knee to help with arthritis and seems he is allergic to it and came out in a nasty rash.  I am not sure it is recommended for broken skin.

It is supposed to improve the taste of potatoes if put in the trenches.  I wrap the seed potatoes in the leaves, it seems to reduce scab.

It seems to grow best in places where it has its roots down into the water table.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 17:04:32 »
When do you put it in the potato trenches.   Before planting or now after earthing up?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 17:29:08 »
It seems to grow best in places where it has its roots down into the water table.
All along the river back here, lots of different shades.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 17:36:32 »
I have a really pretty cream flowered variety with darker stems, and I've started growing it at the lottie as well. It does spread but in a manageable way, I just yank it up if it does a bit mad.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 17:44:18 »
The cream sounds lovely Deb.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 18:53:27 »
You can have some when I next see you if you like! :happy7:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 19:18:42 »
I put it in the trench with the tuber to surround it and keep it from the soil.  I then use more as a mulch which gets covered when earthed up.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 19:39:01 »
I don't trench my spuds. I put the line across and use a dibber to make a hole and drop in the seed potato.   Then when they emerge I use my Mantis to loosen the soil between rows and earth up.  So will have to think again.  But thanks for the reply.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal