Author Topic: A question about plastic sheeting  (Read 1754 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
A question about plastic sheeting
« on: April 03, 2013, 18:12:20 »
Hi All,

I am pricing up a project in the garden with the MAPE pipe but wondering what plastic sheeting people have used and where might be a good place to get some?

Cam

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: A question about plastic sheeting
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:35:21 »
I suspect you are planning some sort of tunnel. Choice of plastic depends how permanent you want it to be and how big the structure is going to be.
When ever/if I do something that I want to last more than a growing season or a year..I go for proper polytunnel plastic. I've had some from First Tunnels..for my real tunnel and for home made 'things'.
With these sort of things it is case of 'you get what you pay for'...cheap or wrong type of polythene for purpose is useable only for short term.
Current cover on my tunnel has been on for 10 years now.. and other than holes that I have poked through or what is caused by cats claws..the rest of the plastic is still strong and don't show any signs of getting weak/brittle. It has outlived its guarantee by many years... :icon_cheers:..and hopefully it will still last few more.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 18:18:48 »
planning very large cloches for my beds (MSPE and wood) and a structure against a fence to cover 2 mini greenhouses (wooden structure). Desperate to get things growing this is the only way i can think of getting things moving.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 21:23:38 »
Yes I'm using First tunnels best poly sheeting. The tunnel has been up 6-7 years now and is doing well while I'm still using remnants for covering all sorts of things.
I also use fine netting a lot as it breaks the wind a bit as well as letting water through.I just put it through the washer when it gets too muddy and it lasts for years. :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal