Author Topic: Allotments4All Upgrade  (Read 19963 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Re: Allotments4All Upgrade
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 21:55:44 »
I love the new format. It's so much easier to use! Looks nice too.

Well done.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 22:36:40 »
Fine, except I used to have a setting that had an entire category ignored - it's now appearing in the new posts list, and I can't find how to get it ignored again. Can anyone enlighten me?

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 22:43:12 »
Hi,

Hopefully the ignore board will be fully working later this week.

Thanks

Dan

small

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 22:43:59 »
Thanks Dan. I'll use my common sense till then.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 22:47:38 »
Hi,

Can you let me know if it is now working, it should be effective and you should not see the board you are ignoring at all.

Thanks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 22:54:30 »
It's different, there seems to be a lot of white space! - but I guess we'll all get used to it. One thing though, Dan - why does the last post header on each page repeat itself at the bottom of the page?

Tricia

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 22:55:50 »
It's different, there seems to be a lot of white space! - but I guess we'll all get used to it. One thing though, Dan - why does the last post header on each page repeat itself at the bottom of the page?

Tricia

Not sure I follow, can you explain a bit more and I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 23:00:03 »
If you look at your reply to my post you will see that the reply is #65 and the subject line is repeated below the message.  This  is probably reply #66 and will be repeated underneath the reply. Do you see? It only happens to the latest post on a page.

Tricia
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 23:11:06 by tricia »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 05:12:45 »
Dan - thank you for all your hard work.  I suspect it took more than 30 mins of your time!
What I'm now missing is that little list that used to be on the left hand side of the Home page, where you could click on "own posts".   What would come up was all my own replies/posts, and then I could quickly find if there had been any further posts on that subject.  I used that frequently.

Also I don't quite understand why now the Home Page has to have long posts which don't necessarily interest me.  I was happier with the list of recent posts.  I have got my computer set up to go straight to the recent posts page now.  I think it is the Home page that has changed in its appearance the most.
Keep up the good work!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:39 »
Dan, I've found "show posts' in the profile bit, but that is a rather convoluted  way of  getting them!  It used to appear under my  Peanuts photo of a choc cake.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:11 »
I for one like your new upgrade Its crips and clean and very smart. Just one thing "what are or who are Spiders" ??

pumkinlover

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 06:55:11 »

I for one like your new upgrade Its crips and clean and very smart. Just one thing "what are or who are Spiders" ??

It's discussed further back- and an explanation (I'm still not sure though ;) )!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:26 »
I hate the new layout, but maybe I am not seeing the same as everybody else.
In my recent posts box, I only have 5 posts, then under that box I have 5 more boxes each with the start of what looks like random posts.
Anybody else get this?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

pumkinlover

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 07:43:36 »
The top box is the last five posts made , then the box underneath has the first post made in each of those threads. (That's how it looks to me anyway)

Just on a personal note, at present we are getting about 20 -30 spammers a day trying to join the forum, with this new upgrade it is much easier to check them out and ban them. The huge number of spammers trying to join started before the upgrade and we do not know why it is happening (nothing to do with the upgrade) Therefore from the mods point of view it is much better so I think I can say we are pleased- Thanks Dan.  ;D

I'm also trying to cope with a brand new computer system at work so my brain is very addled by bed time! :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:44 »
Please can we have a lot more recent posts on the home page .

I also like to call up my own recent posts quite regularly, to check for responses.

I suppose the joke on the front page shows we have a sense of humour.

Any chance of a green with envy emoticon?

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 07:54:16 »
My twopenneth so far ...

In general more white space is good ... it makes for a clearer less busy presentation.

I am not sure what the long posts on the home page bring to the party. What is their purpose ... are they just selected posts? From my perspective they clutter up the page. I would prefer more links (than 5) to recent posts. Of course it all depends what is feasible with this new software.

A bit more on spiders ... search engines such as Google need to trawl the Internet to find the information to populate their systems so that we can do our queries. This activity is typically called crawling. The software that is launched on each website to find and extract information for a search engine is called a spider. The more popular a website the more search engines will launch spiders and the more frequently they will launch them. Also the larger the website the more spiders will be required to get through their work in a reasonable amount of time. Hope that helps a bit.

Bottom line ... Allotments4All is a popular large website which means that it attracts lots of spiders ... perhaps bees would be a more appropriate term but there you go. In the world of IT they are called spiders.   

Keep up the good work Dan.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:38 »
Actually it has improved enormously from my first view of it yesterday morning when there were no recent posts on the Home page at all.

It is great if it is easier to control the spammers. 

We often have a large number of guests and I often wonder who they all are.

I do not mind the white, I just would like to be able to change the blue.  What about salmon pink for a change? Or perhaps cabbage green.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 12:05:44 »
SMILIES  ;D

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:27 »
From what I've seen I like he upgrade, it's easier to read on the white background, as it's been mentioned before more smilies would be good ;)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:47 »
Hi Dan,

I just want to say thank you for all the work you do, this must have taken a big chunk of time, researching first and then implementing it.  I really like it, nice and crisp and clear  :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal