Author Topic: rumours  (Read 2767 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
rumours
« on: September 03, 2012, 17:51:46 »
Has anyone heard anything about Lancashire County council going to enforce people to half their plots. I was asked this question today whilst on my allotment. Personally I wouldnt want to share my plot, at the end of the day it is myself who has put in all the hard work and spent money on bringing it up to what it is today. How would you feel if you were told you may have to split your plot because there isnt enough allotments to go around?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: rumours
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 17:57:53 »
No I wouldn't want to give up my plot, as the second bit I planted my apple, pear and plum trees.  Nothing much grows there because of the very tall fir tree. But I do agree that as I am getting older, I may well choose to give it up in time, either half or all of it.  Some people just keep it and don't go up there or work it, so if people are reasonable, I don't see the problem.  Maybe be a bit harder on the people that don't cultivate. Half a plot good for beginners, but not too good to force people off that can cope with a full plot.  Never listen to rumours, probably just trying to get uncultivated plots cultivated (I hope).

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 18:16:51 »
We started halving plots 3 years ago.  Existing tenants at the time of the rule change were given the rights to keep what they already had providing they were properly cultivated and maintained.  As and when plots have been given up since, these are split and allocated as half plots to all new tenants.  New tenants are only allowed a single half plot due to the waiting list.  If there ever comes a time with no waiting list then they will be given first opportunity of a full plot.  Tenants with one or more full plots are no longer permitted to apply for additional plots. 

From 130 single allotments, we now have 86 single allotments and 44 that have now been halved.  This has enabled our waiting time to reduce from 5 to about 2 years, and an extra 44 tenants tending allotments who otherwise would still be waiting.  If your rumor turns out to be true then this could be a suggestion to put before the council.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 19:45:45 »
I would rather give people half the house! Can't see it happening as it would possibly create so much bad feeling and/or resentment...you are not going to welcome your new neighbour with open arms if you have been forced to give them half your beloved plot are you? I just dont see how you could fit it all anyway, Good luck
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal