Author Topic: a hare  (Read 2668 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
a hare
« on: August 08, 2012, 20:25:04 »
Ive' never seen a hare before,that is until the other day going to my son's, we were driving through the country side and one hope across the road just in front of our car we were going slow,we were like a couple of kids ,it was beautiful and big, a lovely colour nature is wonderful ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: a hare
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:38 »
Yes they are beautiful creatures and such long legs when you are used to seeing rabbits. Shame they are still coursed.
In the peak district you sometimes see them in white in the winter to!
lovely
xSunloving

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:09:31 »
We were talking about this yesterday Sunloving, we thought it had been banned, such a terible thought that it still goes on :(

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:05:26 »
Hare coursing has been banned,at the same time as fox hunting,might well still go on illegally though,the waterloo cup hare coursing has not taken place since the ban was introduced.The waterloo cup was last run in 2005,google waterloo cup its at altcar,lancashire its the wickipedia page interesting reading.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:10:54 by daveylamp993 »
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:02 »
I can see no reason to kill such a beautiful wild animal, I do not like fox hunting at all or any cruel method of "pest" control. I can see why farmers might want to reduce the fox and rabbit population, but hares -no way. They are low in numbers and can do  minimal "damage"
Never seen them boxing but often go to a field to hopefully get a view.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 15:12:52 »

I was driving along (in't countryside) one day when a d**n great hare shot out from the side and rattled along under the van.  Stopped and walked back, dead as a doornail.   Couple of days in the shed until I could get round to it,  carrots, onions, rough cider, best casserole ever.    :D

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 17:10:45 »
We're lucky enough to be surrounded by arable fields and pasture for cows and horses so see hares quite a bit though I've never seen white ones, even in the long snowy winter of 10-11.   The field behind us is particularly large and rises up a bit before sinking down to a stream and woods at the other end and hares can be seen boxing and just playing in early spring.   

Just now we're seeing occasional young ones at night as we're driving home.    It can be quite a job keeping the dogs held if they spot one on walkies as the two together exercise a lot of pull.   Same with pheasants and roe deer but we only ever see the latter in winter.   Recently we saw a female stone marten with her kittens as we were crossing a bridge over the stream further along.   Lovely sight.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 17:31:25 »

I was driving along (in't countryside) one day when a d**n great hare shot out from the side and rattled along under the van.  Stopped and walked back, dead as a doornail.   Couple of days in the shed until I could get round to it,  carrots, onions, rough cider, best casserole ever.    :D

Cheers,    Tony.

That's differrnt Tony!
The Duke of Devonshire kindly donates us a few pheasants!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 18:40:03 »
With or without His Nobship's knowledge?

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 22:16:38 »
Well I invited him round to pheasant curry once but he was otherwise engaged and sent a polite refusal! ;)

(ps they are road kill and not ones I have hit!!!- incase anyone thinks that I am a poacher!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal