Author Topic: Shallots  (Read 1920 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Shallots
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:14 »
I planted them in March  , weather hot in April followed by bonkers rain pretty much ever since . So the result is they have divided into 4/6 bulbs but are very small , too small to use in the kitchen  . My question is ...should I divide them up and replant now or try and keep them dry to replant next year .  These shallots are Picasso .....SO disappointed !   
Trespassers will be composted !

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:23 »
If they were really beyond eating i would chuck them and buy fresh sets next year.

It has been a carp year, we are all in the same boat.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:44 »
It was so bad your way you were catching carp?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 14:10:47 »
It was so bad your way you were catching carp?
;D ;D ;D

I've started lifting my shallots today, exactly the same problem. I thought about saving for next year but decided not a good idea esp. as have white rot on the plot :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 14:56:43 »
I tried replanting my shallots this year but on the whole it doesn't work well. If they are still green, leave them a bit more but if the tops are too shrivelled, that's the best they will do.  They are nice whole, caramelised around some meat even if they are tiny :-)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 17:41:26 »
My spring planted bulbs are now in and although on the small side should make good pickles.... the seed sown ones on the plot are huge, I've got some banana shallots the size of my fist .....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 17:58:09 »
Mine were rubbish too- must make  a note to do seeds next year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 18:57:55 »
Mine were rubbish, but I'll replant them and see. They're not too smal to eat, but something - pigeons or slugs - savaged the tops, while onions a few feet away flourished.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 20:50:25 »
Oh dear...depressing isn,t it ?   I spent the afternoon cleaning out that bed and now I,m going to try and give the soil a boost by doing the lasagne gardening thing on it and prepare another bed for the Autumn onion sets .
 I think we pretty much eat onions in some form or other every day . Love them !
Trespassers will be composted !

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 23:03:43 »
Must admit I had a real struggle with allium seedlings this year, entire trays almost completely failing, including one of the usually bomb-proof Prisma shallots... At least I've got a decent few rows of shallots, some Santero's, some Long Red Florence and a few Aisla Craigs.... didn't bother with the biggies cos I didn't know what I'd be doing  with protection....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal