Author Topic: asparagus and black plastic  (Read 1954 times)

Han

• Quarter Acre
asparagus and black plastic
« on: July 29, 2012, 13:34:14 »
I am Dutch and living/working in the North UK for 3 years now and in summertime part of my job is working in a walled garden.
This year was not so good for asparagus starting very late. I take care of 2 beds of each 20 meter of asparagus. One bed is approx. 20 yeras old and the other approx. 40 (amazing!).
In Holland it is common to use black plastic over the asparagus beds at the start of the season especially when Spring is cold to let the asparagus grow. The plastic helps to warm up the earth.
It the use of plastic also common in the UK? Where can I get black plastic (a bit thinner than the builders plastic)?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: asparagus and black plastic
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 13:46:07 »
Welcome to A4A.

My plot neighbour covers their plot in black plastic sheeting, the kind that lets the water through. In the spring they gradually roll back the plastic and plant things.  I was amazed that in one plot up popped the asparagus.

Many thanks for reminding me, I must get some to cover my asparagus.

You can get it from Amazon and there are quite a few on ebay.  Perhaps someone else will suggest the best place to get it.

Han

• Quarter Acre
Re: asparagus and black plastic
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 15:49:34 »
Thanks for your answer. I hope you will not cover up your asparagus right now :-). The foliage is standing quite high on this moment on my place. In autumn it is time to cut it down and clean the space.
Do you have expereinde with transplanting aspergus tp another place?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal