Author Topic: Our new girls!  (Read 7816 times)

pumkinlover

Our new girls!
« on: July 03, 2012, 21:31:01 »
As well as Cyril the contentious Cockerel and his two ladies at home we have now replaced the hens which the fox killed last year at the allotment.
Mr PKL decided he wanted ex-bats so we registered with the BHWT and got four new girls on Saturday.
Apart from one which is very bald the other three are remarkably well feathered, but they are so pale and they are such sad little things.
Anyway by today they are managing to get in and out of the hut and doing more "Chickeny" activities.
the really bald one is so friendly and lets me stroke her, something none of my other chooks has done willingly!

The run and hut were all made by Mr PKL out of re-cycled (free) stuff we have scrounged-so I cannot complain that he does not garden as he is so useful in other ways!
[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 21:34:05 by pumpkinlover »

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Our new girls!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 21:36:05 »
Awww think they will be great

Where is you allotment?

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 21:43:08 »
Brockwell in Chesterfield.
someone tried to get us to get rid of our chooks there too because he could not sell his ridiculosly over priced house which backed onto our plot!!
He complained to the council who backed us up :D

Still not sold the house- even though there have been no chickens for 8 months LOL!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 22:07:01 »
Bet it is so good to see them starting to enjoy life  :) Are they going to have names?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 22:41:02 »
We have never named the allotment chickens up to now as they have a limited life span, but these especially the bald one have touched my heart. She is so friendly. I keep one group as "pets" these are the three at home.

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 23:10:46 »
aw they are so cute, have 8 new girls on the plot next to ours this year as its got a new tenant, the older man who was there before had to give up due to ill health.
the girls always come bounding forewards every time i pass their run, shame i haven't got food for them :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 16:42:07 »
Aww how lovely, will be fab to see them turning into lovely brown girls. Good luck. x sunloving

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 17:56:45 »
You're very good to rehome ex-bats and give them so much better a life.  They don't look too bad compared with some of the pictures that you see, so I'm sure they'll feather up and get some colour into their combs very quickly.

I love the house and run. Very professional!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 18:52:19 »
How lovely to have chickens. I would love some but I don't think my neighbours would be very happy.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 19:08:40 »
Thank you M12 he based the hut on one from Green frog designs, and I think he's done a fantastic job!

Apparently the birds that you get now are a bit better as the conditions have slightly improved, but they are still sad wee things compared to the birds we have had in the past. But they are starting to come out of themselves.
It has given us a real "feel good" factor getting them, and the eggs are huge!
Are you allowed chickens on your allotment Shirl? mind you I suppose you would have to check with the secretary first!! or you could disguise them as pumpkins!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 19:40:53 »
Oh, bless them and you.  The two chickens on our allotment are called Sage and Onion (abit unkind), but they are much loved and will never, ever be eaten.  They are thoroughly spoilt, and knowing nothing about chickens apart from strongly disagreeing with battery hens, was surprised that they can be so friendly, know their owners, or where the food is coming from and like a cuddle.  Even if I had the space wouldn't keep chickens as would not know how to care for them, will stick with my cats. Lovely photos.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 21:57:36 »
good news! The literature from BHWT says the birds may never learn to perch and the legs are very weak so they struggle to jump up onto the perch at night. Mr PKL goes to the plot every night to check put them in the hut and see if they have perched.
He has just got bask and for the first time all four are perched :) :) :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:59 »
Are you allowed chickens on your allotment Shirl? mind you I suppose you would have to check with the secretary first!! or you could disguise them as pumpkins!9Quote by PL)

I don't think the allotment would be safe for any chooks. We have a fox and lots of cats and apart from that it is too far away from us to be able to go and see to them properly. I would like some at home though. I just might have achat to the neighbours to test the water.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:44 »
They all look very happy in their new home and wont be long afore a bright new golden plumage adorns their chook bodies.

Enjoy   !!!!!!!!!!

"And NO Jude we aint getting any" !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Gazza

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 12:37:20 »
New girls feathers are growing and they are getting a lot braver and more confident. Will post picis later.

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 21:22:53 »
[attachment=1]

Penelope growing new feathers

[attachment=2]

Enjoying a treat (sun and sunflower seeds!)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 07:04:56 »
Aww what a pair of scruffs but lovely to see them enjoying the outdoors and scratching around taking mud baths and being warmed by the sun.
Will be great to see them in full feather later in the year :)
x sunloving

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:14:48 »
They look very happy.  At last there's some sunshine for the chickens to enjoy!

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 08:41:19 »
They look very happy.  At last there's some sunshine for the chickens to enjoy!

I was worried that they might get sunburn- seriously - but they go under the hut in the shade on the odd times the sun has shone!

michelles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 13:54:37 »
We have some ex batts and I just love watching how they change from being un feathered to fully feathered and are such characters.  Yours look just lovely, and no one told mine they wouldnt be able to perch!!  Mine love it if I go out with a spade and they help me dig.  I have a mix of chooks and ex batts and the ex batts are far more friendly than the other chooks, which I always think is slightly odd considering where they started life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal