Author Topic: Check your squashes!  (Read 1547 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Check your squashes!
« on: November 18, 2011, 23:34:58 »
I know it's early, but today I found one of my two Australian Butter squashes already half rotten. I've cut out all the bad parts and 1600g remain - in the fridge till I can come up with some ideas what to do with it! Freezer is full, have been eating soup most of the week made from veggies that needed to be used up and I still have several jars of chutney from last year.

Have made a note to myself to grow only small variety squashes next year!

All other squashes are fine so far.

Tricia

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Check your squashes!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 23:36:52 »
Its one hell of a bummer isn't it?  Makes you wory if the rest are okay.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 00:23:39 »
pumpkin pie, risotto i am sure you will find a home for it all :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:21 »
Did you try washing them in dilute bleach (1:10)?  I don't know anything about your Australian Butters, maybe their skin isn't as tough as Butternuts, but the bleach treatment keeps them lasting a year or more (if the shell is well ripened).
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:38:38 »
Mine are all ok up to now.I do check them regularly as I do with the apples. Shame when this happens after  growing them successfully.
I have always used to dilute bleach wash since I read it on here.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 23:48:25 »
Yes, all squashes were washed in diluted bleach - as always. I shall keep a close eye on the second Australian Butter to see how long it stores, but it's already off my list of varieties for next year.

Tricia

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 08:30:32 »
I only grow small squashes nowadays.......much easier to handle and store. I always find that my Hubbard type squashes have a shorter shelf life than others. Once you get to know your squashes you know which ones to eat first.
Some will rot early no matter what you do. Some might have started to rot on the plot without you realizing it.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 21:29:27 »
I love big squashes, eg Marina di Chioggia.....I admit  that one  rotted yesterday, and I immediately made a curried pumpkin soup eaten today by huge family party with much appreciation. East Sussex Bonfire night and vast parsnips also contributed.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:06:26 »
Checked my last Bon Bon then ate it.  All good but have to wait another year until I can taste it again.  Nothing quite compares to the flavour

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:31:48 »
Yes, all squashes were washed in diluted bleach - as always. I shall keep a close eye on the second Australian Butter to see how long it stores, but it's already off my list of varieties for next year.

Tricia

Grew them 2 years ago and they stored until well into the new year.  I think you were unlucky.  I store them crown up or rather crown sideways, because of the stem, and never wash them.  I thought they tasted very good indeed.  What did you think of their flavour?

So far only one marrow type of squash has started rotting and they are not expected to store for a long time.  Luckily I caught it early.  Thanks for the timely advice to check them frequently.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 23:19:29 »
2nd of the 2 Australian Butter also showed small areas of surface rot today - less than a week after the first one. There was no sign of any deterioration last week! Definitely won't be growing them again even though I was impressed with the flavour and rich colour.

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal