Author Topic: where to get manure,help for a newbie  (Read 3730 times)

fishhead

where to get manure,help for a newbie
« on: September 13, 2011, 13:29:57 »
hi to all fellow plot holders,i was hoping someone could help me out i've had my plot for 3 years now and in that time i've used manure that the society had organised but last years's was pants,so this year i'm going to get my own,i read a post from a couple of years ago about stables giving it away for free is this still the case and is there anybody in wigan who could put me on to one and if they know any that deliver that would be even better as i need a fair bit,i don't mind paying for it but free is nicer :D,hope some one can help cheers
if my plants grew as fast as the weeds i'd be happy

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: where to get manure,help for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 14:04:51 »
Look round your yellow pages (or google locally) for Liveries and Stables.  Always do a bean test on each batch as you bring it in if you're going to use it on beans, potatoes or tomatoes. Not so important if using it on alliums, squashes, sweetcorn, brassicas or celeriac (don't use manure on carrots/parsnips)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 15:03:30 »
When you're out and about look for little signs and piles of manure bags. Here in Norfolk there's a ready supply for usually 50p a bag. Plus check the classifieds in local paper. I found 2 ton delivered last year for £40  :)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 16:08:06 »
Whereabouts in wigan are you, fishhead?
Over our end, it's 40.00 per 8 ton load,delivered,  oh, and welcome to the site  ;D

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 16:13:17 »
If you have a car then I reccomend Googling 'riding stables in *your area*').  Most let you take it away for free.  If they charge, find another.

fishhead

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 16:20:47 »
thanks to everyone who repiled, ;D,cheers martin

fishhead

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 16:26:05 »
Whereabouts in wigan are you, fishhead?
Over our end, it's 40.00 per 8 ton load,delivered,  oh, and welcome to the site  ;D
thanks for getting back to me,my plot is in new springs,roughly how many barrow loads is 8 ton ,the last lot i had deliverd was about 25 barrow loads and what kind was it horse or cow poo,cheers martin :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 16:32:40 »
We're over golborne way. I think it worked out about 48 barrowloads (between 8 of us), it is well rotted horse muck and we have tested it every year for weed killer . I can p.m his number if you want to try him. There's also a horse stables on lily lane, Abram.  you can go pick your own,  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:56:41 »
Yes look for stables or pony clubs, usually they can't wait to get rid of the stuff. A couple of times a year I turn up at the local club with the bin bags and a shovel and fill the car full of bags. Yes there is straw but it is already starting to rot as they pile it for several weeks and in any case it is usually soaked in horse wee so I always think that it brings lots of good stuff to the plot. I spread it on during winter then dig in as I plant in spring.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:07 »
So always remember the bean tests, it is the horses wee that carries the weedkiller.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:17 »
So always remember the bean tests, it is the horses wee that carries the weedkiller.

It's also possible it's on the hay fodder though, all of my damage this year come off a batch of field-tailings, not stable manure, there's negligible wee in field tailings....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 20:05:19 »
It bonds to lignin, which is indigestible, so I'd have thought it would be in the poo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal