Author Topic: cabbage seed  (Read 3786 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
cabbage seed
« on: August 13, 2011, 17:42:06 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase some Early York Cabbage seeds.Anyway that is what i was told they are called, i believe they are an Irish seed. Any help much appreciated. Ann ( Obviously these are for next year now)

willsy

• Half Acre
Re: cabbage seed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:07:12 »
So has no one heard of these seeds then? I have seen them on sites especially an Irish 1, but doesn't tell you where you can purchase them.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:19:07 »
It's not a variety, it's a type of cabbage.  It's the name given for early/spring pointed head varieties like Wintergreen Offenham, April, Greyhound etc.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:30:22 »
Thanks for your reply, but I think it is a variety. My Irish neighbour gets them brought over from Ireland.Sometimes he goes over for holiday and brings them back.
I asked my other Irish neighbour and he told me they are called Early York and they are a massive round solid type of cabbage. P.S. dont ask me to ask him for some , Ive made enough hints and he isnt forth coming. Tight Git. ??? ??? ???

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:55 »
^^ offer him money - he'll get the message  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:20:07 »
or a seeds swap ;).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:05 »
Maybe that cabbage is called with some other name too..it is not first time..nor last.. ::)
See this...
http://www.seedaholic.com/cabbage-wintergreen-offenham-3.html
There seem to be variety called Early York..mentioned in Thomas Etty cataloque..but not selled by them.
And some types of cabbages are called York cabbages as general name.
But I haven't come across Early York as variety in sale..googling doesn't bring much up neither.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:48 »
Here is another refrence to the Early York.
http://bcheritage.ca/craigflower/tour/farm/produce.html
No wonder you are having dificulty of finding the seeds. Your Irish neighbour should produce seed from his cabbages if it is THE Early York..and help to preserve that old variety.
Perharp you should educate him.. ;)..offer to produce seeds for him....and for yourself too....and for swaps.. ;) ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 13:22:03 »
DEFRA maintains a list of all recognised plant and seed varieties for the UK:

Plant Varieties and Seeds Gazette

Perhaps you can find the same for Ireland.

edit: the gazette oncludes details of the supplier.

mickstani

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 13:40:29 »
Extract from an Irish garden centre december  blog (Horkans) :- Plant some Early York cabbage plants now for great tasting cabbage in mid summer. Hispi is the variety I would recommend.
Seems that early york cabbage is an irish term for spring cabbage.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 14:02:45 »
I came up with much the same, A photo may help with what type they are

Spring cabbage with pointed heads and 'April' and 'Offenham' are a good reliable varieties, sown in late July. 'Spring Hero' is ball-headed and sown in July. 'Greyhound' is a pointed summer/autumn variety sown in March to June. Ball-headed vareites are mostly summer and autumn maturing, also winter.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 15:26:48 »
Early York was commonly grown in 1800's ..like so many other old varieties it only exist in small collections and seed banks..I doubt you can just buy it anymore..
Unless that Irish neighbour of yours have some connections to a collector or other organisation I would think his seeds are 'York cabbage' as a general term for the type of cabbage rather than variety.
But of course it is possible that it is indeed a rarity that he is trying to keep from you..ask to see his seed packet..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal