Author Topic: Where do you put overwintering crops?  (Read 2165 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
Where do you put overwintering crops?
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:10:30 »
Hi all,

It's rare for me to be on here now I'm busy with my plot so I hope you are all well and enjoying your gardening.

I have what I suspect is a daft question but I know you'll answer anyway:

When you sow broad beans for overwintering do they go in this years Legume bed or next years?

Does the same go for all overwintering crops?

Vicki

pumkinlover

Re: Where do you put overwintering crops?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 13:02:53 »
I do not think it matters with the legumes as they do not carry any nasties.
I have often pondered this issue, but really it is how it fits in with your garden, I would not plant brassicas where you have taken some up, but would not worry with the broad beans.

This year I am putting the overwinter brassicas where the alliums have been so that is where the brassicas will be next year, however when they come out I will not plant another brassica on that area.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 13:03:25 »
the same bed that you used to grow the same crops in this year. Then in spring you rotate.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 20:49:55 »
I put them in next year's place. As they stay there till summer. Same with brassicas and leeks and overwintering onions.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 23:16:26 »
I go along with lincs!

Winter Brassicas are usually done by the time I need the ground for other things.

Regarding Garlic  and Jap onions these are coming out as I need ground for the following years winter greens if needs be!

Add to that I work with around 10-12 beds so I don't find rotation a problem if I want to differ from that!

I have around ten years records of what went in each bed so I just refer  to these if needs be.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 18:13:43 »
Yes I suppose you have to work out what suits you, what you change over at which time of year.

I do a big swap-over mid-summer, when autumn/winter-grown alliums come out and brassica plants go in. Early potatoes come out and leeks go in... It seems to work for me, though it can be tight, if something ends up taking longer than normal to ripen.  ::)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 18:34:38 »
So my overwintering Japanese onions need to go into my 2012 onion bed? Or do they go into the bed where my 2011 onions are once they have been cleared?????

confused................ ???
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 18:50:51 »
Personally I would stick themin the 2012 bed

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 00:02:30 »
Providing the 2011 crop was disease free you can follow on with your japs!

To put your japs in  the 2012 location would mean that you could not plant your 2012 mc onions in that bed because your japs will not be ready!

Does that make sense?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 21:23:49 »
So my overwintering Japanese onions need to go into my 2012 onion bed? Or do they go into the bed where my 2011 onions are once they have been cleared? ????

I think, what we're all saying is that you put them in either location  ;D ;D, the important considerations being disease and whether the location works with your crop swap-overs.

I see what you mean, tee gee. I don't fill the onion bed with the overwintering ones, so there's room for the spring plantings as well.

Different people grow different quantities of things, or their harvest times vary as well. So there's probably no one size fits all rotation plan. 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 17:19:15 »
I run a seperate rotation at home for the winter stuff, but thigns that go in this eyar to come out next year I'd put in next years space especially for something like onions....

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 22:52:56 »
I run a seperate rotation at home for the winter stuff, but thigns that go in this eyar to come out next year I'd put in next years space especially for something like onions....

That is the best way to do it, two plots side by side, one for overwintering and one for season cropping.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal